Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 09-18-2007, 10:51 PM

Default Best Defensive Scheme for 6v6 Flag football?

Ok well it's the season for intramural flag football, and I'm arguing with my manager about the best defensive strategy.

Rules:
6v6
You need 2 WR, 1 QB, and 3 O-Line for offense
You need 2 CB, 1 safety, and 3 D-Line for defense.
O-Line can go out to retrieve passes (basically, they are all tight ends). However, there needs to be 3 people on the line to start.
OL's can not use their hands. It's basically like a basketball pick, but they can move their feet.

How should we go about designing a defensive scheme here?

I was thinking about dropping the DT back to play linebacker. One play I thought of was this.

This play takes some pressure off of the QB, but allows the defense to defend against quick dump off passes to the O-Line, or cross patterns by the WR. The team manager isn't a huge fan of this strategy, thinking that we should rush 3 guys at the QB to keep maximum pressure on him. However, I think this allows the O-Line to just receive a quick pass and run long. Obviously we aren't going to do the same thing every time, but what are some of 2p2 thoughts about designing some quality defensive plays?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Best Defensive Scheme for 6v6 Flag football?

What are the rules for the OL? for our league, you cannot use your hands fully and must keep them behind your back. This gives the QB very little time to do much.

I think your strategy is fine- 2 fast DL should be able to get to the QB fairly easily. Make sure that middle DT plays a spy/middle LB role though.

When i played in previous years past, the QB had maybe 2-3 seconds tops to make decisions. Offensively, I think you should stick to easy slants and posts (10 yards or so) and just hope that your athletes can do something in some space (think Florida).
Old 09-18-2007, 11:24 PM

Well first of all. Your rushers should never ever ever ever be rushing inside. They should always be rushing outside the blockers and containing the QB. If you rush inside, he's going to run around you(no matter how fast you are...promise).

My fraternity has won our college championship like 6 years straight, and finished 4th last year at Nationals. I played QB for them during college, and still help coach the freshman as they come up. If you want to talk about a bunch of stuff, PM me.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:30 PM

Most of the best flag football teams I've seen almost never throw a pass. That little "fumble is a dead ball" rule makes any team that can successfully run the option nearly unstoppable against most teams at a normal college.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the best flag football teams I've seen almost never throw a pass. That little "fumble is a dead ball" rule makes any team that can successfully run the option nearly unstoppable against most teams at a normal college.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a ton of speed, this is a great way to go. Usually you see this more in 7v7 and 8v8 though. This is 6v6, which is gay. Especially if you MUST have three lineman. I've never heard of that, and it sounds stupid.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:47 AM

if you're good enough... man up.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:24 AM

Well if the QB is under Center your DE's better be in outside technique or they can just run sweeps all day. They have to rush outside and keep contain which basicly leaves two holes for your Nose tackle inside. Given that responsibilty plus covering any O-line players going out for a pass I think this should be your best athlete.

Also I would play the Safety shallow, more like a deep Mike than a safety really. Stop the easy stuff first, if they can beat you deep there is really not much you can do. Vs six eligble you really can't defend both...

/Bjorn
Old 09-19-2007, 05:46 AM

From my experience, an extra blitzing pass rusher is much more valuable and will cause many more turnovers than a safety.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:50 AM

Is it just me, or does it seem like these rules are reeeally slanted in favor of the offense? I mean, being able to just dump off passes to you o-linemen, you should have like a 75% completion percentage. Then of course, as is standard in flag football, you can just do 360s your entire way down the field to make it real tough for anyone to get a hand on your flag. That's one of my gripes about flag football in general; I could tackle the dude but the [censored] wind is blowing his flags around, or he's spinning, or i grab his shirt by accident, etc. An honest game of 2 hand touch is superior to flag.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:42 AM

When I was in college we used to just tackle people and pull their flag out. And yes, shockingly, flag football is really slated towards the offense.

I never played 6v6, I always played 8v8. We used to have some crazy blitzes. We used to have a set blitz where if your reciever went in motion towards the line the DB would blitz and the linebacker would be responsible for his man. In general though we would play man or sometimes a man zone (which was more or less an umbrella coverage we used on 4th and long) and blitz at least four with one linebacker covering the short middle. Of course we had three guys who were great in coverage.

Sometimes I miss flag football. I wish the leagues around here would play on a day other than Sunday. Of course I have no idea if I can still cover people, I can't remember the last time I ran [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].