Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel

Old 11-29-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Re: NEW Thailand thread

[ QUOTE ]
Question about finding a place to live:

I'm thinking of moving to thailand for 6mos-1yr. I'll likely be going with my g/f (beat, I know)

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless your GF is extremely hot and tolerant you are going to ruin your couple man.
Think "temptation island" but in real life. Even if you do nothing wrong she ll get paranoid.
Maybe it's easier in the islands.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's easier in the islands.

[/ QUOTE ]she'll go mental about the thai girls AND the topless euro & aussie tourists
Old 11-29-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You know I was never big on Thailand, though not really against it either. Then I saw this crap.

http://www.houseinphuket.com/houses/LTR/a0008/

Seriously $1,200 a month for this place? Anyone want to split it with me? Jesus. 3 bedrooms + huge office.

I know absolutely nothing about Phuket, but I must say this area looks much more developed than the last thread let on.

[/ QUOTE ]well it's in Phuket town....most ppl who go to Phuket want to live by the beach....

this website is fine too for phuket rentals:
http://www.siamrealestate.com/phuket...erm-rental/53/
Old 11-29-2007, 01:29 PM

Ya that location sucks, you are at least 20 minutes by motorbike from the beaches, it's also a very Thai neighbourhood which could be good or bad.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:35 PM

I'm bored so I will elaborate on that. Basically all the beaches are on the west side of the island, and that house is on the far east. 20 Mintues is optomistic also, in traffic that could be 35-45 minutes usually.

In my opinion the best towns to live in would be Kata/Karon/Kamala. These towns are all touristy, but they are close to beaches and close to Patong, the nightlife centre. NTB lives in Patong, and it's the centre of the tourist trade/sex trade/nightlife. We chose not to live there because houses are much more expensive and harder to find, also the beach isn't that nice. The 3 towns I mentioned are about 25 minutes away, so close enough to go for shopping or nightlife, but they also have very nice beaches and a nicer atmoshpere, constant Go-go bars can get annoying.

A big thing for us in finding a house was timing. We were looking in late oct/nov and many houses that were up for sale didn't want to rent then, because the high season was approaching. If you were looking in april/may/june you would find much more flexible land owners and you could get better houses.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:59 PM

Is there a good place in Bangkok for an American Breakfast?
Old 11-29-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is the situation with Degen?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl this is awesome.

Edit : if my assumption that the missing guy is Trotsky is right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. It was Nikolai Yezhov.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:04 AM

I still haven't booked my ticket for Christmas. Basically I need to get from BKK to New England (any of the three major airports would work). Any suggestions on airlines/routes to do this cheaply? Can you get flights directly to the east coast?
Old 11-30-2007, 01:15 AM

RE: Phuket housing, there are plenty of great deals in what are essentially upper- and upper-middle-class suburbs. You can get a huge house relatively cheaply but you're far from the beach, restaurants, stores, etc. Patong isn't bad as long as you aren't living in the middle of it. If you're a mod, go check out the place NTB and I stayed at.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I still haven't booked my ticket for Christmas. Basically I need to get from BKK to New England (any of the three major airports would work). Any suggestions on airlines/routes to do this cheaply? Can you get flights directly to the east coast?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can have cheap or you can have direct. Thai Airways runs one direct flight to JFK per day. 17 hours, $1,300. If you don't mind having 10-12 hours added to your trip, you could probably save a few hundred. I've never bothered to check into it.

I've been told there's dirt cheap Peter Pan bus that runs from NYC to Boston with a stop in Hartford thrown in. Pretty sure it doesn't leave from the airport. Or you can take the Connecticut Limo from JFK to New Haven for $65.