Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Set mine in multiway pot

i vote yes just because it's an utg open and a sb repot and a bb cold call. if you were otb i'd say easy fold.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
because SB has a strong range in this spot, it is not bad. but usually this should be an instafold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're saying that SB's "strong range [in this situation]" makes a call okay, what other situations are you referring to wherein this is "usually" a fold? By that I mean, what similar (but obviously not exactly alike) situations are you referring to? I'm not trying to bust your balls at all, genuinely curious what you meant.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:59 PM

if UTG+1 is for sure only calling, this is at best neutral EV
Old 10-30-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
because SB has a strong range in this spot, it is not bad. but usually this should be an instafold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're saying that SB's "strong range [in this situation]" makes a call okay, what other situations are you referring to wherein this is "usually" a fold? By that I mean, what similar (but obviously not exactly alike) situations are you referring to? I'm not trying to bust your balls at all, genuinely curious what you meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

because the original raiser was utg and not somewhere else, sb and bb's ranges are both stronger
Old 10-30-2007, 03:49 PM

no i would not call here.

you're almost never stacking the guy to your left, according to the range i put him on. occasionally he'll flop top 2 vs your set or a big draw vs your set, but every other time you are folding when you miss (i assume you aren't bluffing here often), and even the times you do get it in vs him you probably aren't that far ahead. add this to the times that he flops set over set on you, and that he has position, and you pretty much are have no discernable edge against him.

SB - aggro, he knows you are UTG so he has a stronger hand than most of his 3bets, still, he's messing around at least 15-20% of the time (meaning you aren't stacking him when you flop a set these hands). He's going to miss with AQ/AK sometimes, you won't stack him much of the time here, and you'll run set into set under set here.

I'm not sure why i went into so much detail to basically say "assuming these guys play even moderately well post flop, you just won't be stacking them a large enough percentage of the time that you do in fact flop a set to make up for the fact that the stack sizes are only 100 BB's.

fold this hand.

tc
Old 10-30-2007, 03:51 PM

No
Old 10-30-2007, 07:44 PM

To all those saying no, we only have to make like 400 to break even and our relative position is good. Can you make an argument on why we cannot make > 1 pot sized bet profit postflop?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:31 PM

Maybe
Old 10-30-2007, 11:42 PM

Taylor,

Thanks for taking your time to post this, as it is a super common situation that many people(in your opinion) play wrongly. What pair would be big enough for you to call here, and how deep would stacks be, optimally? By your logic, it seems as though 99 and 22 would be a nearly identical hand here(the exception being that we won't get stacked set under set vs. the bb as often). Not trying to be sarcastic in the least - this is a situation that I never got completely clear on in my transition from limit to NL. I also assume that you are folding 89s here? Or would you prefer a suited connector to a tiny pair in this spot. Would love to hear anyone's insight here. Thanks for any help!

James
Old 10-31-2007, 12:02 AM

Location: just a skinny azzzed short stacking gossip hurling trouble maker

[ QUOTE ]
To all those saying no, we only have to make like 400 to break even and our relative position is good. Can you make an argument on why we cannot make > 1 pot sized bet profit postflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

because of the increased % of the time you get your stack in with 1 out as opposed to bigger pairs