Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 11:07 PM

Default runner runner

In discussing played hands with others, I have heard the term "....and the flop was runner, runner, ace" or ..."runner, 3, runner." What does the term "runner" mean??? <font color="blue"> </font>
Old 09-15-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Re: runner runner

A runner is someone who uses his or her legs to go from place to place, usually moving them very fast to do so. This is debatable with fat people, however. Seriously, it means someone is way behind in a hand to where they need the both of the last two cards to turn their hand into a winner, like if they are holding 2 hearts with a heart on the flop and both the turn and river are hearts. When I get all my money in with the best hand and someone hits runner runner on my I have a saying, "runner runner, butt f****r."
Old 09-15-2007, 11:31 PM

I've never heard of runner been used on flop cards. But if someone gets runner runner to win the pot it means that both the turn and river cards were some of the few cards they needed to make a backdraw straight or flush or other hand that beats yours.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it means someone is way behind in a hand to where they need the both of the last two cards to turn their hand into a winner

[/ QUOTE ] listen to this man.

"....and the flop was runner, runner,.." do not listen to this man. it's jibberish.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:54 PM

This is great stuff...
Old 10-19-2007, 10:41 AM

Both of those terms you describe are greek to me.

Runner, runner means the turn and the river cards both helped you win the hand and without both of the those cards, you wouldn't have won the hand.

For the numbers, the most likely runner-runner is making a flush which is slightly less than 4% and the most unlikely runner-runner is two exact cards, like turning a pair on the flop into quads, which is in the neighborhood of 0.04%.

The term can also be used like "he needs running cards to win" which usually comes about when there is an all-in on the flop. When you hear people complain about their luck they could say "the guy hit a running straight (or runner-runner) to knock me out" and from that you can tell he took a very bad beat.