Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Who are you? Personal / Poker background

[ QUOTE ]
Poison, not Skid Row, but yeah, same difference really.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - that's like, Ricky Rocket, isn't it? So funny. Have you ever seen the Beavis and Butthead where they make fun of a Poison video. God, it's great.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of the remaining few holdouts cluing into just how pathetic I am...

I'm a little drunk + feeling nostalgic + not playing this evening... so maybe some of you would have an interest in reading about my poker odyssey. It's not a particularly impressive story, but people seem to find it funny that I had to take up small stakes poker before I finally found a semi-regular source of income. Who knows.

If nothing else, it's a cautionary tale for would be ss grinders. Lots of tedium. Precious few victories. But others have done better, so your mileage may vary.

tl/dr.pdf

Hope everyone is having a profitable night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, how in God's name did you play that much poker in the beginning? I'd have died. Good story, though.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Dude, how in God's name did you play that much poker in the beginning? I'd have died. Good story, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That bit might have been misleading. It was only actually 6-8 hrs of table time plus an equal amount of reading/posting/review. Still way more low limit poker than is healthy in my opinion, but nothing others don't do regularly.

I have no idea how the really hard core grinders sustain that sort of pace. There's no way I'd be willing to get anywhere close to that again unless my hourly earn was ridiculous and I was entertaining thoughts of world domination.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:19 PM

I started to play since February, my best friend play poker for living since 2 years. I lost 50$ on FTP. I bought SSHE because I thought it was a book for NL, so i started limit by mistake. I have switched from full ring to short handed in june and now I try to beat 2/4. Sorry for my poor english in all my futur posts.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bought SSHE because I thought it was a book for NL, so i started limit by mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]
haha

welcome to the forums
Old 08-27-2007, 01:52 PM

Poker story:

One winter day in 2004 an American friend tought me and my friends what Texas hold'em is , iv'e never gambled or played any real card games before, so we all fall in love with the game playing whole night for petty stakes and the american repeteadly beats us for 100$ a night, after about 3 months I started winning after figuring alot of stuff myself, after about three months and a couple of hunderds of my friends I decide to invest a part of my "bankroll" in internet poker $200 on party sustained me for quite a while and pretty quick 2-4 and grinding at local clubs at 5-10PL became my job, after more then a year I went to India and Japan for nine months.

Then I came back had my best run so far ( crushing 10-20 L online and 5-10PL offline) until I hit adownswing after about 6 months , lost a substanial part of my roll and decided to take a real job to at least clean my head, Iv'e been working for three months now while going back to playing some 0.5-1 and 1-2 SH ( up 350 BB this month ,so far so good)

Hopefully i'll make it back to the 5-10 10-20 area and have a nice 3K supplemental income within 6 months or so
Old 08-27-2007, 02:56 PM

Age 22
Education:
B.A. in History and Political Science from Miami University (Ohio)
1L (1st year law student) actually today is day one of orientation and here I am again involved in poker related activities during my 20 minute break.

Occupation: Professional box opener, package receiver and shipper while I worked towards my undergrad. Currently not working while in law school.

Poker Story
Fall 2003 Fresh in college and introduced to the poker boom by roommate. Skeptical because I hate losing money, am risk averse, and was not a fan of gambling (seems funny now). Played online free to learn what was what ( I mean i didnt know if a flush beat a straight). Sweated my roommate that year and soph year while reading every book imaginable but still never played for money except live and always less than 10 bucks. Summer before junior year, grow a pair and deposit on party, play the sngs, mtt's and am nitty. Within 2 months deposit is gone. Swear to never play again. Then the poker gods gave me HOH and I read vol 1 and vol 2 during my junior year and it revolutionized my game (thats how bad i was) but still leery of depositing online. continue sweating my roommate and at end of junior year/summer i deposited 100 and ran it up to 700 in about 2 months. During same summer played first live buy in tournament that was a real structure at a charity. 200 or so people. finished 5th for 1175. Cashed everything out because bills to pay for senior year. Learned shorthanded limit hold while browsing forums (I constantly lurk here) and picked up stox's book a great read to any who havent read it) and am trying to convince myself to uninstall poker to make it through my first year of law school. We shall see how that goes.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and am trying to convince myself to uninstall poker to make it through my first year of law school. We shall see how that goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do it. You're going to need SOMETHING that doesn't make you want to kill yourself.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:26 PM

ya, im just glad i read everything, briefed it etc that was assigned for today (even though it was orientation) because I seriously think two people looked like they were about to cry after being introduced to the socratic method
Old 08-27-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and am trying to convince myself to uninstall poker to make it through my first year of law school. We shall see how that goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do it. You're going to need SOMETHING that doesn't make you want to kill yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, it's more likely to push him over the edge if he plays/runs anything like me...