Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 11-21-2007, 10:12 AM

Default Whats your line? $10NL

These spots occasionally come up and I dont know how to play them effectivly.

PT was not working last night so I had no stats on villian. Dont remember ever playing with him. Not a complete moron but probably not a winning player.

Villian $8.75
Hero $14

UTG folds
MP folds
CO folds
BTN folds
Villian SB raises to .20
Hero dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] calls

Flop .4
J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villian bets $1, Hero?

I figure if I call here I have basically showed him my hand. I could min raise but that to me is also a big tell (although I sometimes do it to set up a bluff). If I raise to $3 or $4 Im saying lets get it all in and he cant call with anything I beat (if he has a brain).

What does everyone do here?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Whats your line? $10NL

just call, let him try to bluff the turn. if he doesn't, just valuebet.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:32 AM

First of all, no matter what you do you arent showing him your hand. I am assuming villain is an idiot for making the bet size the way he did so I doubt this guy is a master of hand reading. With that said, I am probably just going to flat this flop. There is nothing to protect against and he could pretty easily be doing this with a 7, but he could also be doing this with any pair. I dont want to scare him off any of the random holdings he has so just let him bet into you again on the turn. By that point you can decide from the board texture if you want to shove over his bet or just flat again but Im leaning towards shove.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:32 AM

My play is call, he might just be bluffing at pot, let him double barrel, could just raise the turn try and put him to a decision for all his chips. My advice probably bad tho, breakevenaments and all.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:43 AM

Same here, call and raise on the turn if he bets again. I also think he has a 7 or any pair here.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:45 AM

Thanks. Let me know if you see a flaw in my thought process.

I didnt like calling (I figured that would scream trip Js.) I didnt like my options on how to extract the most chips. I realize that when you make a sick over bet you sometimes get called down light when the person thinks you are bluffing. So I just shoved over the top of him after a small amount of thinking. He timed down to 15 seconds and called with KK.

Does everyone hate this shove? To me my other options scream "I have trips." This one looks like it could be a bluff or a hand like A7 that is trying to take this pot now.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:53 AM

In response to your post look at my first answer
Old 11-21-2007, 10:56 AM

When flatcalling you could have a 7 or a higher pair as well, I don't think he will put you on trips that easily. I am quite certain he would not lay down KK even if you call the Flop and raise turn
Old 11-21-2007, 11:03 AM

Calling represents a 7 or pocket pair or a float or draw or A-high. Calling on this board gives away nothing - I'd call the turn too if it bricks and let him try push me off my scared 7. Unless you have some abnormally tight range for calling a flop like this HU, calling doesn't say anything about your hand.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:10 AM

Put yourself in his shoes. If your OOP overbet were called here, what reads would you have on your opponent. I doubt you would decidedly say "he has trip jacks" although that would certainly be in his range. It oftentimes helps to think about these sorts of things from villain's prospective to see what your actions depict.