Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-18-2007, 02:56 PM

Default these debates remind me of...

when i was a young child i had the following thought:

say there is a question which has a definite answer. the answer must be either yes or no, and there is argument about which is answer is correct.

a young child or simple-minded person might answer "yes," using overly simple, incomplete, or unreasonable logic.

a slightly older/smarter person might answer "no", using slightly better logic.

another person, even smarter, might again answer "yes" using even better logic.

another, even smarter, "no", with even better logic
etc. etc.

each is unaware of his own ignorance - each is confident he is correct - each has an approximately equal chance of actually being correct.

this was kind of an epiphany for me at the time, and to this day amuses me. the hopelessness of having logic and ignorance at the same time! being human!
Old 11-18-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: these debates remind me of...

you just essentially described poker
Old 11-18-2007, 04:12 PM

which debates?
Old 11-18-2007, 04:18 PM

And then there is this thing about 'smarter'.

I met a couple once, and the husband in the relationship drove a septic truck. Per all definitons amongst intellectuals this was not your classic 'smart' guy. However, he did work only 2-3 days a week, he did make around 70-80k US a year - which isn't a ton but when you get 4-5 days off a week its kinda cool - and he was very funny and he did have a beautiful and very funny wife. All in all I think I'll have to admit he is probably one of the smartest people I have met in my life.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:59 PM

does free will exist?
is ____ immoral?

another trigger for this memory is the scene from The Princess Bride where the short bald guy is trying reason out which glass the hero put the poison into
Old 11-18-2007, 06:22 PM

All well and good, except for:

<font color="blue"> each is unaware of his own ignorance - each is confident he is correct - each has an approximately equal chance of actually being correct.
</font>

Rarely do two propositions have an aproximate equal chance of actually being correct.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you just essentially described poker

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I thought while reading the OP.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rarely do two propositions have an aproximate equal chance of actually being correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

so then, in my example, which is more likely to be correct? "yes" - which the level 1, 3, and 5 logics supported, respectively - or "no" - which the level 2,4, and 6 logics supported? there could be infinite levels of logic.

that one is in reality "more likely" is beside the point. according to my definition of the question, in reality, 1 answer is 100% right and one is 100% wrong. we just don't know which. therefore, to ignorant thinkers like us, the probability is essentially 50-50.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so then, in my example, which is more likely to be correct? "yes" - which the level 1, 3, and 5 logics supported, respectively - or "no" - which the level 2,4, and 6 logics supported? there could be infinite levels of logic.

that one is in reality "more likely" is beside the point. according to my definition of the question, in reality, 1 answer is 100% right and one is 100% wrong. we just don't know which. therefore, to ignorant thinkers like us, the probability is essentially 50-50.

[/ QUOTE ]
The ones using the better logic are more likely to be correct but your whole post is misdirected. Clever, wiser people are aware of their ignorance. Its mainly stupid people who are convinced about beliefs without good reason.

chez
Old 11-18-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The likelihood that a belief is true is measured relative to the justification one has for believing it. I might believe that Mt. Everest is the tallest mountain on earth because I think the name "Everest" sounds like it would be a tall mountain. That is a poor justification for the belief, and therefore my belief is not likely to be true given my reason for believing it.

Someone else may believe that Everest is the tallest mountain on earth because they have read that careful efforts to measure the height of the mountain indicate that it is the tallest mountain on earth. The belief is more justified in this case, and hence we would evaluate the belief in the second case as more likely to be true.