Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Fool me once...fool me twice....Kelvin Sampson

MT2R,

The only times that I think kids are "paid" are recruitment weekends. You are allowed 30 dollars per recruit(usually a meal at Hooters, at least that was 4 out of the 5 visits for me were like) and that is all. *There is no way that they spent 30 dollars on me when I was out on visits and I wasn't even looking at elite colleges so they are getting money from somewhere.* These weekends are usually the biggest party weekends for the football team to show the recruits good times. Other than that I agree with you and very rarely are college athletes paid.

Edit: check the *-*
Old 11-06-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MT2R just bumped this thread without any new developments. His hate for IU is legendary.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong

I bumped it to not derail the IU football thread

there are developments all the time.

I mean DeCourcey just weighed in again

The Indystar has story after story
Old 11-07-2007, 03:17 PM

I get the feeling most of the opinions on this subject have more to do with how much the person likes the coach.

A post-season ban for Indiana is practically impossible. IU has never gotten in trouble with them, and these violations are very minor in terms of the school. The only reason these violations are even worth the time to put them on newsprint is that Sampson had a past and was on sanctions when they came out.

If they want to hit Sampson harder, they can do that without hitting IU who found the violations and reported them promptly.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
---The only way IU doesn't get a postseason ban is if the NCAA still treats IU as a favored program

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a line on this? The getting the ban mind you, not the "being a favored program" issue, we all know about the conspiracy.

Cody
Old 11-09-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I get the feeling most of the opinions on this subject have more to do with how much the person likes the coach.

A post-season ban for Indiana is practically impossible. IU has never gotten in trouble with them, and these violations are very minor in terms of the school. The only reason these violations are even worth the time to put them on newsprint is that Sampson had a past and was on sanctions when they came out.

If they want to hit Sampson harder, they can do that without hitting IU who found the violations and reported them promptly.

[/ QUOTE ]

IU was advised not to hire Sampson
they cannot be absolved

they also did not find the violations promptly--they were supposed to have effective internal controls monitoring their hire of a probation coach on a weekly basis

in addition, no violation is minor when one is on probation

add-in that there was no real punishment that IU self-enforced

Here is what IU did:
1) They cut one scholarship for one season
Ironically enough, one of their 2008 recruits had just gotten busted for crack cocaine possession....guess what scholarship is now an IU self-enforced penalty?
2) They didn't give Sampson a schedule pay raise
hmmmm....how does this hurt the university again?
They save money on paying a coach that has few bargaining chips against them now that he has the NCAA hanging over him.

so, I'm pretty sure one can expect more
Old 11-10-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they cannot be absolved

they also did not find the violations promptly--they were supposed to have effective internal controls monitoring their hire of a probation coach on a weekly basis

Here is what IU did:
Ironically enough, one of their 2008 recruits had just gotten busted for crack cocaine possession....guess what scholarship is now an IU self-enforced penalty?
They save money on paying a coach that has few bargaining chips against them now that he has the NCAA hanging over him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, when I was at IU, I'm not gonna say where, but I saw them sacraficing baby goats (cute ones) before games in the basement of Ballen...er nowhere. *Whistles*

Cody
Old 11-10-2007, 02:14 PM

Richard,

The basketball team still sodomizes a newborn at the Sample Gates before the start of each season.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they cannot be absolved

Here is what IU did:

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, when I was at IU, I'm not gonna say where, but I saw them sacraficing baby goats (cute ones) before games in the basement of Ballen...er nowhere. *Whistles*

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

lovely counter arguments

interesting technique you have there
one side presents good facts and supported arguments
you make some joke about baby goats or conspiracy
baby goats and conspiracy are bad
thus, you feel you've taken down the other side

however, nowhere did you combat the facts

you can try to make them go away all you want, but they will not

IU hired a mediocre coach of a boring style who has had mediocre results so far while cheating, yet support him because he isn't Mike Davis

that is pretty lollerskates

fortunately for Sampson, Gordon is already NBA ready which will mean Sampson will finally have 'developed' a NBA guard
Old 11-10-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they cannot be absolved

Here is what IU did:

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

lovely counter arguments

interesting technique you have there
one side presents good facts and supported arguments
you make some joke about baby goats or conspiracy
baby goats and conspiracy are bad
thus, you feel you've taken down the other side

however, nowhere did you combat the facts

you can try to make them go away all you want, but they will not

IU hired a mediocre coach of a boring style who has had mediocre results so far while cheating, yet support him because he isn't Mike Davis

that is pretty lollerskates

fortunately for Sampson, Gordon is already NBA ready which will mean Sampson will finally have 'developed' a NBA guard

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?? I said many posts up that I'm not a Sampson guy, I didn't like his hiring, nor Mike Davis', nor did I like letting Knight go.

You really could use a deep breath. If you think my post about Goats was anything but lighthearted, you need to take a few plays off.

Sampson is a shady guy, but the university did enough, in this case, to probably avoid punishment. Should they have hired him to begin with, personally I'd say no, but that isn't going to matter. He'll get his fines/penelties/whatever, and the NCAA will tell IU to stop hiring awful coaches. In 3 years he'll be gone and we can forget this ever happend.

Well we can, you won't be able to because, being raised (I'm assuming) an Illinois fan, you've been taught that the only truth in this world is that everyone is out to get Illinois sports. Every time anything comes up, it's some huge conspiracy to get Illinois. God I wish for one second I could be that self-important. I mean, I don't think I'd get alot done, but hell, I don't think I'd care much.

Chill.

Cody
Old 11-10-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Richard,

The basketball team still sodomizes a newborn at the Sample Gates before the start of each season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh tradition. That's what makes IU a great school. That and Buffalouie's god I miss that place.

Cody