Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Official Illinois has more wins than Michigan and ND combined thre

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The best shot as I see it is for Oklahoma to beat Missouri and for Illinois to move up one spot to 14th so that the Rose Bowl can select them.

The chance of someone in front of Illinois losing that will drop far enough has got to be pretty high. Then Oklahoma beating Miss is what like 30-40%?

[/ QUOTE ]

30-40%? Really?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope line is out Oklahoma is a favorite, so my side of this homer bet is better than even money.

LOL.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:10 PM

Keep the faith Trolly, this Teddy Greenstein article in today's Trib puts the Illini at a (very scientific) 75% to crack the BCS.

But I have to say, and I might be alone on this one, but I'm starting to lean away from rooting for a Rose Bowl bid. I do understand how the Rose is what all Big Ten teams hope for, the parade, the blah blah, the grandpappy...but just for the sake of argument:

Scenario #1: Illini sneak into the Rose Bowl (getting picked over a BCS#3 Georgia, pissing off legions of anti-Big 10 people off who are already pissy), and once there the Illini have to play a peaking USC team with a real possibility of getting trounced (further ammunition for Big Ten haters).

Scenario #2: Play Kansas in the Fiesta Bowl (very winnable, tons of upside) or Florida in the Capital One (very fun, guaranteed zookgasm).

...I guess I like #2, but I do understand how that's Rose Bowl blasphemy, and obviously I'd be super thrilled if either of the above works out. And the best case scenario would be their beating USC so maybe I just need to grow a pair.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:42 PM

IIRC, there is a rule that the #3 and #4 BCS teams must get at-large bids. What this means is that if Missouri loses, Kansas and Georgia must get at-large bids unless Missouri does not fall below Kansas or LSU jumps Kansas. Neither of those are particularly likely.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IIRC, there is a rule that the #3 and #4 BCS teams must get at-large bids. What this means is that if Missouri loses, Kansas and Georgia must get at-large bids unless Missouri does not fall below Kansas or LSU jumps Kansas. Neither of those are particularly likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

LSU will easily jump Kansas if they win. I also doubt Missouri will drop below Kansas if they lose.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Scenario #1: Illini sneak into the Rose Bowl (getting picked over a BCS#3 Georgia, pissing off legions of anti-Big 10 people off who are already pissy), and once there the Illini have to play a peaking USC team with a real possibility of getting trounced (further ammunition for Big Ten haters).

[/ QUOTE ]

Beyond the enjoyment of winning my bet vs Iron, I don't really care if the Illini make a BCS game. They would probably have an easier game if they don't and therefore a theoretical better chance to win.

Also, over the last month of play, the Illini are pretty hot (notwithstanding their layoff) I don't think they are going to be afraid to play anyone or get blown out.

Looking forward to 2008 either scenario could be positive.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:58 AM

Crazy talk. Rose Bowl >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>> anything other than BCS title game.

It's not like USC is going to be any easier than say Florida anyways. The team has played every game close, there's zero reason to think they won't be compeitive. And, if they aren't, its something to build on for next year.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Crazy talk. Rose Bowl >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>> anything other than BCS title game.

[/ QUOTE ]

WORD UP!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's not like USC is going to be any easier than say Florida anyways. The team has played every game close, there's zero reason to think they won't be compeitive. And, if they aren't, its something to build on for next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep...the Illini are owed one due to 2001 anyway

other BCS bowls would be huge resume builder and help build program momentum

it seems the BIGGEST thing is for
1. Washington to beat Hawai'i
I don't think this is very far fetched and already have bets on Washington to win outright
Hawai'i is a joke...a huge joke

as troll pointed out, the other big things that help Illinois are
2. if Arizona could beat Arizona St
3. V Tech getting the revenge beatdown on BC

Clarknasty is right on with the long ideal case (which is slanted toward going to the Rose Bowl), but the others are by far the most important--2 of 3 equals BCS bid

booby prize is capital one bowl in Orlando

my wild ass guess is that the Illini end up playing @ LSU for the Sugar Bowl again...sigh
Old 11-30-2007, 09:37 PM

[censored] this UBB software sucks my hairy balls. I just spent 15 minutes putting together a nicely-formatted schedule of the important games with times and odds. But I did it over like an hour and then when I went to post it, it said "form not available".

So anyway quick link to schedule:
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/scoreboard

Odds:
http://covers.usatoday.com/data/odds.aspx#ncf
Old 11-30-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Oklahoma needs to beat Missouri and for Illinois to move up one spot to 14th so that the Rose Bowl can select them.

---OR----

2 teams have to drop behind them.

So 2 of these things have to happen (I think):

V Tech needs to beat BC.
Arizona State has to lose to Arizona.
Hawaii needs to lose to Washington

[/ QUOTE ]