Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Cell Phones

[ QUOTE ]
very slightly off topic: virtually everyone i know has a cellphone, except for male math majors, of which almost none seem to have phones

[/ QUOTE ]

I just have trouble answering it. On that note I'm planning on ordering one of these two phones tomorrow:

LG VX8600
Samsung U740

1. Does any one have either of these?

2. Experience ordering a phone from Amazon?
Old 06-13-2007, 01:16 PM

Have a Motorola Rizr from T-Mobile, my wife has the Blackberry Pearl. She LOVES her Pearl, basically for the same reasons FFK outlined above. I like the Rizr - feels more solid than my old Razr. T-Mobile is good in Chicago (much better than the old AT&T) but the overall national coverage is not as good. Was fine in Vegas though.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:29 PM

I just got a pay as you go phone from t-mobile (lost my phone and didn't want to sign a contract before iphone comes out), and it seems pretty great if you need a temporary phone for whatever reason. 30 bucks for the phone + 30 minutes, 50 bucks for 430 minutes. of course I am probably paying a lot more per minute than if I signed a contract, but whatever. was in and out of the store in 10 minutes with a working phone.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:46 PM

I got the LG chocolate given the reviews on here, and am very disappointed in it:

- texting is hard due to the pressure you have to use on the buttons

- inability to make your own incoming message tones

- the camera blows

- battery life is terrible

- inability to play MP3s when you're doing anything else on the phone

- easy to scratch screen

- touch-tone screen is uncustomizable (making you inadvertently click on the internet option)

this phone puts me on life-tilt
Old 06-13-2007, 02:07 PM

Samsung Blackjack - Cingluar

good phone, the earpiece can get extremely loud which is clutch in certain situations

if you are in a 3G area, the internet and IM speed is fantastic, without it, its nothing special

battery life is decent, but it also comes with an extra battery so you can just pop in the new one if you are away from a charger for a long period of time

I had difficulty setting up my gmail acct in outlook and actually gave up after 100 tries, I decided to get rid of the dataplan, but the phone is still very versatile without it.

Overall I'd recommend it.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:37 PM

Ha! Everyone I know who has the LG chocolate hates that phone.

Anyway, I have Sprint -- have had it for about 6 years now, and I like them enough to have never switched.

signal: excellent, hardly any dropped calls, only a few places where I can't get service.

service: very good; most mobile customer service blows, but at least with Sprint I've never gone on tilt.

international: sucks, actually. They don't have a single plan that helps me make calls to Canada even. Canada!

working overseas: no idea, never taken my phone overseas.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Samsung Blackjack - Cingluar

good phone, the earpiece can get extremely loud which is clutch in certain situations

if you are in a 3G area, the internet and IM speed is fantastic, without it, its nothing special

battery life is decent, but it also comes with an extra battery so you can just pop in the new one if you are away from a charger for a long period of time

I had difficulty setting up my gmail acct in outlook and actually gave up after 100 tries, I decided to get rid of the dataplan, but the phone is still very versatile without it.

Overall I'd recommend it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have this phone and recently switched to the crackberry. Overall I liked the blackjack and it is a well made phone, but imo the blackberries (esp the newer ones like the 8300 or 8830 or whatever) are markedly better. It used to be a closer choice, but now that blackberry has expanded its multimedia features they are the clear choice IMO.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
very slightly off topic: virtually everyone i know has a cellphone, except for male math majors, of which almost none seem to have phones

[/ QUOTE ]

Redundant.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:56 PM

I have Sony Ericsson W300i and I love it, really a huge relief having a phone that doesn't suck after all my previous phones turned out to be spectacular failures (Samsungs mostly). Great sound quality, all the usual gimmicks, MP3 player that i never use etc. It's very small, very tough because of an egg-ish shape and has a huge battery life. It's only being offered by Cingular i think but I have some prehistoric grandfathered plan with T-Mobile where I pay like $20 a month and bought it unlocked on Amazon. Also no one on earth has this phone but me so it makes me feel special.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ha! Everyone I know who has the LG chocolate hates that phone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the Chocolate and it's actually my favorite phone I've ever used (used 5-6 other phones), however most people I've talked to that have it don't like it. All the negatives I hear about it don't apply to me as I've either gotten used to or never use that feature.