Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 04:50 PM

Default Re: High Quality H2O

is anyone here a water snob or conniseur who thinks they could easily discern between:

-expensive $30/bottle water
-moderately expensive spring water
-standard dasani/aquafina water
-filtered brita water
-tap water
-melted ice cubes

if so, i would be interested in getting a prop bet put together on this.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:55 PM

What's wrong with tap water? I know you can't drink tap water in all countries but I thought it was good in the US?

A lot of the bottled water is just bogus anyway. Coca-Cola sells Bonaqua here in Sweden and that is actually nothing more than carbonated tap water. Really. It was revealed after a pair of journalists did some digging. Frickin scam.
They still sell it though so I guess it's not illegal.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:56 PM

I think it all tastes the same basically, but I have had problems with Poland Springs. I have had a few different bottles, completely unopened, that had some aweful wierd taste. These bottles came packaged with many other bottles that tasted normal and this has happened on a few separate occassions. Thats the only brand of water I sortof avoid.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:59 PM

I'm pretty sure either the coca cola (dasani? )or nestle water was outlawed in the UK due to it's chemical content. I would search but I can't be bothered as my mouse isn't working very well.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we had some voss with dinner at dolce in la i believe.

it was pretty wet and all, but i think i will stick with my chewy hose water.

[/ QUOTE ]

these look like shampoo/conditioner bottles. has bottled water really gotten that gay looking?
Old 03-18-2006, 05:04 PM

30 bucks for 750ml.

*edit* for 12 of them, haha.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:05 PM

I think a lot of you underestimate how powerful the human palate is. I'm not going to say whether expensive water is automatically better tasting, but if you ask people to taste 3 different types of water, and then pick them out from a blind test, chances are high they can distinguish which is which. This is not on a scale of preference, but simply from them tasting different.

I can tell the difference between Poland Spring, Dasani, and my local tap water. The difference in mineral content is clearly there. If you have ever tried distilled water from a lab (pure H2O, no minerals or ions), you know that it tastes inherently different from regular water, and not in a good way.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:05 PM

edit: nevermind [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2006, 05:08 PM

wow i just realized i was mistaken regarding whether or not drinking distilled water is bad for you.

my chemistry teacher sophomore year explained that it was. however a search just now yeilded this answer to whether it is dangerous or not:

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, let me review for the record what distilled water is — it’s water that has been turned into steam so its impurities are left behind. The steam is then condensed to make pure water. The process of distillation kills and removes virtually all bacteria, viruses, heavy metals, and other organic and inorganic contaminants. Once distilled, the water is as pure as water can reasonably be.

For reasons I don't understand, any number of myths — some quite extreme — have grown up over the years about distilled water. A quick Internet search today will take you to sites that put forth such views as "distilled water leads to early death." Nonsense. One claim holds that distillation removes all of water's beneficial minerals. While it’s true that distillation removes minerals as well as various contaminants from water, we don't know that the human body can readily absorb minerals from water. We get our minerals from food, not water. By one manufacturer’s estimate, you would have to drink 676 eight-ounce glasses of tap water in Boston to reach the RDA for calcium.

Your question as to whether distilled water leaches minerals out of the body reflects another persistent myth. While pure water helps to remove minerals from the body that cells have eliminated or not used, it does not "leach" out minerals that have become part of your body's cell structure. Neither does distilled water cause your teeth to deteriorate, a false claim made by a filter manufacturer looking to boost sales. As far as acidity goes, distilled water is close to a neutral pH and has no effect on the body’s acid/base balance.

I hope I've set your mind at ease. Distilled water not only isn't dangerous, it’s the purest form of water. It’s also the kind of water I drink.

Dr. Andrew Weil

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-18-2006, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Now its all about the brita. Its so much cheaper than buying bottled, and it tastes exactly the same to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Closed Thread