Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 03:31 AM

Default Re: \"I make more than you\"

I agree with Blarg on this one. Most of you sound like assbags. The girl does sorta too, but poker players tend to forget that back in the real world 60K is a lot of money to kids coming out of college. Hell my dad probably doesn't make 60K. Mocking people who aren't enlightened gamblers like yourself is pretty classless.

I learned at a young age that talking about salary is sort of a faux pas. I asked my dad how much he made and he said, "none of your business, and you don't ask those sorts of questions." I know how much a couple of my friends make, but in general, we don't talk about it. It's just not polite and leads to stupid situations like in the OP.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
she says this "yeah but I make a lot more money than you do" and I just respond with "really?"

[/ QUOTE ]

So what's the real life version of:

OP did good to down play his $$$. It's much cooler. No one likes the douche who has to set everyone straight.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Blarg on this one. Most of you sound like assbags. The girl does sorta too, but poker players tend to forget that back in the real world 60K is a lot of money to kids coming out of college. Hell my dad probably doesn't make 60K. Mocking people who aren't enlightened gamblers like yourself is pretty classless.

I learned at a young age that talking about salary is sort of a faux pas. I asked my dad how much he made and he said, "none of your business, and you don't ask those sorts of questions." I know how much a couple of my friends make, but in general, we don't talk about it. It's just not polite and leads to stupid situations like in the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point is that this girl, without really knowing much Sponger's profession, just blurts out that she makes a lot more money than him. Not just more money, but a lot more money. It sounds like a brag. It's certainly terribly presumptuous and at least a little insulting.

It would really get under my skin if someone said that to me, though in my case it would be true.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:46 AM

I said she sounded like an assbag. What she said is the kind of thing my father told me to never say. Even though I'm not a 6 figure balla poker player, I make more than a good amount of people I know, but I would never, under any circumstances, say something like that. And if someone said that to me, whether they did or not, I would say, "good for you."
Old 06-11-2007, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of you sound like assbags

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I just don't get your post then. I'd bet most of the guys you're referring to as sounding like assbags are just joking, while the girl in question was being serious.

[ QUOTE ]
poker players tend to forget that back in the real world 60K is a lot of money to kids coming out of college.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you were implying that we should go easy on her for bragging about the money she makes, hence my post.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:04 AM

I make more than all of you hahahhahaha.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:05 AM

I guess most was the wrong word. The "stop hanging with poor people" was retarded, or a really poor attempt at humor.

I didn't mean that to defend her. Like I said, bragging about salary, no matter how brag-worthy your salary is, is pretty lame.

You don't see it much in OOT, but I remember back when I posted in BBV a bit (months ago, before the BBV4L split), there was a lot of "lol 60K" mentality. When in actuality, it's a + salary for a BA or BS grad to be making. So I was over-generalizing a bit, I'll admit.

I think Sponger did the right thing just dropping it anyway.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:13 AM

ask her what her net worth is and tell her you'll flip for it
Old 06-11-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess most was the wrong word. The "stop hanging with poor people" was retarded, or a really poor attempt at humor.

I didn't mean that to defend her. Like I said, bragging about salary, no matter how brag-worthy your salary is, is pretty lame.

You don't see it much in OOT, but I remember back when I posted in BBV a bit (months ago, before the BBV4L split), there was a lot of "lol 60K" mentality. When in actuality, it's a + salary for a BA or BS grad to be making. So I was over-generalizing a bit, I'll admit.

I think Sponger did the right thing just dropping it anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Sponger took the best route by not saying anything.

I agree with your general sentiment regarding big-shot poker players' lack of respect for real-world incomes. I'm one of the poor people who would love to be making 60K.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:20 AM

If she was trying to point out that she makes a lot, and is proud of it, let it slide.

If she is trying to belittle you for gambling instead of working, then I might say something.

In general, I try no to tell people about poker, and its fun listening to them talk about money.

If you don't like her, I might ask something like "how much have you lost " etc.