Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: A player is cheated if his opponent ever calls the clock on him when the opponent has the nuts
Yes 0 0%
No 47 100.00%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: The Official NHL Playoffs Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I guess it's because most of you guys are Easterners, but Minnesota is going to destroy the Ducks. The Wild can easily win the Cup. And this is coming from a Vancouver fan and I hate the Wild.

I thought my team was underrated.

Basically the Wild are the Devils but with Crosby and Malkin. That's not much of an exaggeration either.

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY? That's a huge exaggeration. Where's Martin Brodeur on that Wild team? Nicklas Backstrom? The Wild lack in both defense and goaltending.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you say the Wild lack in defense and goal tending when they allowed fewer goals then any other team this year?

They also had the highest save percentage.

[/ QUOTE ]

watch the playoffs, then you'll see.

didn't the stars win the Jennings Trophy a few years back and get knocked out of the playoffs with ease? I know it happened to the Devils in 04 as well. Ah, the variance of the playoffs.

FWIW, the Devils were a better defensive and goaltending team than any of them - but they play in the East, where there's many more higher scoring teams.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I guess it's because most of you guys are Easterners, but Minnesota is going to destroy the Ducks. The Wild can easily win the Cup. And this is coming from a Vancouver fan and I hate the Wild.

I thought my team was underrated.

Basically the Wild are the Devils but with Crosby and Malkin. That's not much of an exaggeration either.

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY? That's a huge exaggeration. Where's Martin Brodeur on that Wild team? Nicklas Backstrom? The Wild lack in both defense and goaltending.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you say the Wild lack in defense and goal tending when they allowed fewer goals then any other team this year?

They also had the highest save percentage.

[/ QUOTE ]

watch the playoffs, then you'll see.

didn't the stars win the Jennings Trophy a few years back and get knocked out of the playoffs with ease? I know it happened to the Devils in 04 as well. Ah, the variance of the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

So now you can predict which way the variance will go?

Damn, i wish i had that talent.

Seriously though, i think you are not giving Backstrom enough credit. The one word i can use to describe him is solid- he doesn't make any flashy saves, but he is always in position and he controls his rebounds so he never has bad games.

Plus we have our "goalie-of-the-future" lurking in the grass- Josh Harding. I seem to remember a couple of rookie goaltenders coming out of nowhere last year and saving Anaheim and Carolina. We might put Fernandez in before Harding if it comes down to it though in which case this is a moot point.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:17 PM

I'm not going to disagree with you that the Ducks were one of the top teams in the NHL this year. They were not my preferred choice of first round opponents.

However I also think the Wild were right up there in the top 5 over the last half of the year. So I think this is the best first round matchup.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A really interesting chart that shows that the Ducks record actually doesn't show how good they truly were this year. Many of the Ducks losses came to non-playoff teams. Playing down to their competition or some such stuff. That's bad right? Well, not if you play your best hockey against playoff teams. This table shows the goal differential of the Western playoff teams only in games played amongst eachother. Look who's in first. Look who else is positive...wait, no one else is positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if there weren't points for losing in OT and shoot out wins were jut worth 1 point. The Sharks would have the President's Trophy. If SO wins were worth 2, they'd still be tied for first in the West with Nashville. Anaheim would be 6th.

You can't advance losing in OT during the playoffs. Anaheim's record is inflated heavily.

EDIT: Instead of giving a point for OT/SO losses, they should just give a point for all games decided by just one goal. Same [censored] thing.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A really interesting chart that shows that the Ducks record actually doesn't show how good they truly were this year. Many of the Ducks losses came to non-playoff teams. Playing down to their competition or some such stuff. That's bad right? Well, not if you play your best hockey against playoff teams. This table shows the goal differential of the Western playoff teams only in games played amongst eachother. Look who's in first. Look who else is positive...wait, no one else is positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cute chart, but that definetly doesn't tell the full story. I definetly think Anahiem will win their series vs. Minnesota, but they're not that big of a favourite over the Wild, that's for sure.

Not to mention, Vancouver at the bottom of that list is just silly.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:32 PM

...in the poll so far 2 people have voted for the Islanders to win it all...

...if its not sarcasm, I would love to hear how they will get passed Buffalo let alone the rest of the contenders?
Old 04-10-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, if there weren't points for losing in OT and shoot out wins were jut worth 1 point. The Sharks would have the President's Trophy. If SO wins were worth 2, they'd still be tied for first in the West with Nashville. Anaheim would be 6th.

You can't advance losing in OT during the playoffs. Anaheim's record is inflated heavily.

EDIT: Instead of giving a point for OT/SO losses, they should just give a point for all games decided by just one goal. Same [censored] thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell? Are you just making up rules now? There are rules in the NHL that say the Ducks had a better regular season than the Sharks. Quit your whining.

Anyway, the Ducks are fine in OT. Actually, they are better than the Sharks in OT. In games finished in OT, the Ducks are 5-4 and the Sharks are 1-3. Anyway, playoff OT's are 5 on 5, so SO and OT stats mean nothing now.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:34 PM

FeelNothin -

in the playoffs, you're always playing good teams - I feel like this is more likely to wear a team like the Wild down than other clubs, given their talent level. Hence my predicting variance - of course the Wild could go to the Cup Finals, maybe even win - but with the makeup of their team, I don't see them beating Anaheim.

let's drop the [censored] puck already though.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it silly? That chart says that the Canucks were heavily outscored against playoff teams. I'm guessing a look at their record against playoff teams will show a correlation.

EDIT: I just looked it up. Vancouver was 17-15-3 against Western playoff teams. My Ducks: 20-10-6.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it silly? That chart says that the Canucks were heavily outscored against playoff teams. I'm guessing a look at their record against playoff teams will show a correlation.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can almost find any stat to show team A is better than team B. Your little chart doesn't prove anything for the post-season.