View Poll Results: What would you do with AA here
All-in 7 43.75%
Fold 8 50.00%
Call 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Are rats and/or cockroaches an issue at all in houses or apartment buildings?
Old 09-30-2006, 12:30 PM

The only place I have seen rats in Thailand is when I was walking down soi nana in bkk.

I have seen cockroaches in dirty ass houses before as well. Not really a problem though cause ive never seen them in my place.

Geckos are everywhere, inside your house as well, and they eat all the bugs and [censored] that might wander in. They are great
Old 09-30-2006, 12:44 PM

Does anyone have pics of their house/apartment?

I hear numbers thrown around a lot, but it would be cool to see exactly how 2+2ers are living, and have a more concrete idea of what's possible for X amount of money.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2. It was mentioned earlier drugs such as paxil are common, do you need a prescription from a local or are they otc? Does this include adderall or other amphetamines?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need a prescription. Not sure of the law but it is very common to just buy them and not be asked for one.

There are many things you cannot get, any kind of amphetamine is one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could I bring my prescription from the US to a doctor there to get amphetamines? Are they completely illegal? How risky would it be to bring my current refill into the country?

From my searching, it seems Phuket and Koh Sumai are the two main islands, is this right? How would you compare the two, beaches, expenses, nightlife, etc? What other islands would you consider for an extended stay? Internet access appears to be the major downside, but a lot of the hotels/rentals advertise they have wifi, it's just not that reliable?

Are there many bars that are just 'bars' or pubs and not populated by working girls? I saw mention there is a club scene but didn't see any talk of regular bars. What about places to watch football on the weekends?
Old 09-30-2006, 01:32 PM

Is there anyway to get DirecTV or something to watch NFL games?

How hard is it to get a job doing commercials? That's some pretty good money. I'm not half-asian or anything but I'm a good looking guy.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there anyway to get DirecTV or something to watch NFL games?

How hard is it to get a job doing commercials? That's some pretty good money. I'm not half-asian or anything but I'm a good looking guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had some friends that were using slingbox to get all kinds of channels. Unfortunately that is all I know about the subject. They said they were watching any channels they wanted with it. I think they had someone in the states working together with them. I just download whatever I can't see on tv here. High Stakes Poker, WSOP shows, The Colbert Report etc.

I was "discovered" when I was looking for apartments here. There was a model agency in the lobby of the building and they guy came out and asked me if I wanted to take some pics and could I drive a car in a commercial etc. I said, let me check my schedule [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] haha.. I never did any acting or anything like that in my life, but after a while you just do what the director tells you. It was interesting to say the least. Sometimes waiting around doing casting sucked, but at least there were always cute thai girls around casting for other parts or ads.

I have heard there is an agency here that works mostly with foreigners as they are often needed as extras and in Thai shows where they want to pretend they are on location in another country. (put a bunch of white people in the background and call it London) A friend told me it was on soi nana actually. I never checked it out because I had plenty of auditions to go to thru my agent and he had been good to me.

You might have to go to a bunch of auditions and see how it goes. It's hard to say what they are looking for. The Honda ad I did was with a American dude from texas. He was 22, good enough looking guy but not like runway model style or anything. They pick the "model" types for hip heineken ads and stuff like that. (big pay for big brands like that). If you want my agency info PM me.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:55 PM

can do commercials if you are halfie, otherwise its gotta be alot harder.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have pics of their house/apartment?

I hear numbers thrown around a lot, but it would be cool to see exactly how 2+2ers are living, and have a more concrete idea of what's possible for X amount of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

First I stayed at this hotel. I have stayed there every year I visited in the past too.

Grand President Topaz Suite, Bangkok: Oct 2004 it was $750/monthly rate (prices may vary depending on season)

The Hotel is on Sukumvit Soi 11

After that I moved into a studio apt. ($450/month)

View from 8th floor

It's not as ballin as Degen's pad I'm sure, but it works for me and my budget. It is very centrally located and has gym, sauna, pool etc.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:05 PM

Wow, awesome place. Little bigger than my brother's place in Manhattan, and he pays...well... many times what you pay.

Can you get high-end electronics really cheap in Thailand? Like how much would a $2000 (at BestBuy) plasma TV cost?
Old 09-30-2006, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How early do I have to get to Hat Rin to lock down a room for the full moon party? I gotta do a visa run tomorrow but I think I'll head to Koh Samui the next day and then Hat Rin. I'll be straight if I get there 3 days early right?

I'm worried I'll still be sick and have to wait another day to travel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't stay at Hat Rin. Every beach on the island AND Samui run boats all night (Take at your own risk. I was too drunk to care [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )

Anyhow Hat Rin fills up three days prior and becomes a garbage and broken glass filled [censored] hole after the party. Plus, hope you like people effing on your bungalow patio. Yikes.

I stayed at Broken Bottle beach on the north side. It was full two days prior to the party. If you want a decent place try to arrive three days or more ahead of time. Have fun. I enjoyed myself but doubt I would do it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

What??? I would recommend staying on had rin or somewhere where you can walk to had rin. The partying the week before the full moon party is [censored] awesome too. Though, I'm not sure if 3 days is enough time in advance.

Did anyone else constantly find themselves at chicken corner in the middle of the night?

damn, this thread makes me miss thailand/SE asia even more.
Closed Thread