Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Re: How do you avoid paying taxes to the IRS?

[ QUOTE ]
It will abolish the IRS and all income taxes by placing a national sales tax (30%) on all goods and services. In essense you only pay taxes on money you spend.

[/ QUOTE ]
On the one hand, I like the idea in theory. But man, what a way to but the brakes on your economy...and what a boost for the "underground" economy!

As to the IRS, are you kidding? Sure, the tax regime would be simpler, but they'd still have to collect from the businesses. Plus, everyone they didn't need because of the simple rules would be put out in the field trying to bust everyone avoiding the tax.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:55 PM

Can you imagine the incentive for people/businesses to do transactions under the table?

Not to mention all the bartering that could be done without cash changing hands (and all the bogus bartering that would be done to cheat the tax guy).
Old 08-17-2007, 09:05 PM

Govt is grossly mishandling enough of the money as it is and the tax-system is already screwed-up enough as it is.
I have no problem with a huge change.
There's already plenty of 'cheating the tax guy' as it is.
And I'm referring to blatant, outright 'hiding a lot of your money' kind of cheating as well as the silly manipulation of loop-holes or deductions kind of cheating.

In other words: Can you imagine the amount of cheating going on already? There's a lot of it.

You really think that just making minor adjustments to the current sustem is the way to go?

Yeah, we're officially bringing politcis in the Zoo but BFD.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:10 PM

Fair Tax is a dumb [censored] idea. I mean I'd love it because my tax burden would be 0% more or less, but even I can see this as probably the most blatant regressive tax ever to get so many people thinking it would not ass-rape a ton of poor people.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:40 PM

The IRS doesn't allowed to use a corporation to receive gambling income.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can avoid paying taxes if you help get the fair tax act approved.

http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServ...ame=about_main

It will abolish the IRS and all income taxes by placing a national sales tax (30%) on all goods and services. In essense you only pay taxes on money you spend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, what a truly dreadful idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is actually a really good idea, go to fairtax.org and read about it (which I doubt you will because you just blindly denounce it as a horrible idea without knowing anything about it)

A consumption tax is the fairest way to collect taxes and the best thing is, the IRS will be abolished over night.

[/ QUOTE ]

And replaced with what? An agency with a different name that does the exact same thing? Or is the govt just going to start collecting taxes on the honor system?

Also, I'm not real excited about jacking up grocery bills 30% for people struggling to get by so that the top 5% can see their tax burden shrink.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again I ask that you do some homework on the subject before throwing out objections. All this is handled in the Fair Tax proposal.

The IRS will be gone because there will be no need for people to send in tax forms every year and to figure out the 1,000,000 page tax code that governs the income tax.

There will not be a burden on poor families. A dollar amount is set for the amount of money required per person for standard living expenses and each month people/families will receive a "prebate" check for that amount equal to the amount of consumption tax that would be charged on that amoung.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:44 PM

Deleted by Mike Haven
Old 08-17-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
On the one hand, I like the idea in theory. But man, what a way to but the brakes on your economy...and what a boost for the "underground" economy!

As to the IRS, are you kidding? Sure, the tax regime would be simpler, but they'd still have to collect from the businesses. Plus, everyone they didn't need because of the simple rules would be put out in the field trying to bust everyone avoiding the tax.

[/ QUOTE ]

From Wiki:

"a business is required to have a registered seller's certificate on file, and must keep complete records of all transactions for six years. Businesses must also record all taxable goods bought for seven years. They are required to report these sales every month"

There will be measures in place to prevent people from doing this and if someone is caught they will get in deep [censored]. They will need manpower to keep this from happening but they will need much less manpower than the IRS.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:48 PM

For those of you who won't read up on the fair tax yourself (or those of you interested in reading more) please check these two links out for some short info on the Fair Tax.

50 Frequently Asked Questions About the Fair Tax
(especially helpful for those of you who are skeptical)
http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServ...name=about_faq

The Fair Tax Wiki Article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairTax

Oh, the fair tax would also only be 23% not 30%
Old 08-18-2007, 01:06 AM

earck,

While I am a fan of a consumption tax in general, the problem I have with the fair tax is it's way too regressive, even if you factor in the *small* credit you get. Seriously, what good is $10K for a single person or $13K for a single mom with a kid? Everyone knows the federal poverty level is ridiculously low. Anyone with a job (even min wage) is automatically above the poverty level and I have yet to see anyone survive on just minimum wage without dealing meth on the side.

I also don't buy that argument that the wealthy spend more on food and medicine than the poor. Maybe in total dollars, but certainly not more as a percentage of disposable income. They gloss over that argument real quick because the real truth is most people don't have anything left after food and housing. Add in medicine or a big doctor bill and many are pushed into bankruptcy.

It's slick and, frankly, I'd take it even with its flaws over the garbage we have now. But it's certainly not fair.