Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 05:55 AM

Default Moving to Europe (I hope)

The recent poker laws in the US has made me decide to move to another country. I live in Pittsburgh presently and I don't mind cold weather, I have been to europe and I was thinking of moving to amsterdam, I had a immigration lawyer for residency and everything but decided against it. I am going to probably move when my apt lease is up, which is in April of next year. I just want to know about the cultures in Europe, how easy would it be to make friends? stuff like taht etc. I was leaning towards, the netherlands, germany, or switzerland this is all of course if I get approved for residency. Any and all opinions are appreciated!
Old 08-07-2007, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Moving to Europe (I hope)

Every single country in Europe has a different culture.
In all of those countries you will be fine as long as you accept their culture. You will most probably get along fine with your english practically everywhere,but you will get along with the locals far better if you try to learn their language. One word of advice is to stay away from politics. Try to figure out why they do the things the way they do it in your chosen country but don't start to tell them that America is better because...
If you treat the people with respect you will have no problem making friends.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:51 PM

Have you been to Amsterdam? That is probably one of the last European cities I'd ever decide to live in.

Also, you are fighting a very uphill battle to try to get residency, I wouldn't count on it.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you been to Amsterdam? That is probably one of the last European cities I'd ever decide to live in.

Also, you are fighting a very uphill battle to try to get residency, I wouldn't count on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Amsterdam is a lot of fun, even outside of the hookers and weed. I love it there. Culture, food, beauty.. and dutch girls = hot.

But, if I were to pick somewhere in the EU, and I could pick anywhere, I would go somewhere warmer: Barcelona, Greek Island (during summer), South France, Italy, Lisbon.

Of course, I haven't really been to any of these places (besides Greece), so I can't commet on them exactly.. but if I were thinking of moving to Europe, i'd probably want to base myself somewhere warmer, but still in a large-ish city.

If I were to chose somwhere where I have been, it would have to be Paris. I love everything about the French.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have I liked it a lot it is very clean and seems quite organized and has plenty of things to do. The immigration lawyer I had for the netherlands seemed like he could get me residency if I used him to fill out my application.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Amsterdam is a lot of fun, even outside of the hookers and weed. I love it there. Culture, food, beauty.. and dutch girls = hot.

But, if I were to pick somewhere in the EU, and I could pick anywhere, I would go somewhere warmer: Barcelona, Greek Island (during summer), South France, Italy, Lisbon.

Of course, I haven't really been to any of these places (besides Greece), so I can't commet on them exactly.. but if I were thinking of moving to Europe, i'd probably want to base myself somewhere warmer, but still in a large-ish city.

If I were to chose somwhere where I have been, it would have to be Paris. I love everything about the French.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sort of nailed it. There are just way better places and Amsterdam really doesnt excel in any area.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:05 AM

What do you guys know about Denmark? Can I get a Dane in here to impart some wisdom?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys know about Denmark? Can I get a Dane in here to impart some wisdom?

[/ QUOTE ]

I quasi-lived there for a bit, but if you are hoping of getting a visa to live there you are borderline delusional.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I quasi-lived there for a bit, but if you are hoping of getting a visa to live there you are borderline delusional.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that is what I've been reading.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you are hoping of getting a visa to live there you are borderline delusional

[/ QUOTE ] This describes Switzerland pretty well also.