Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 03:18 AM

Default Re: 2+2\'s Lead Guitar Players, Help Please.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You need the following: A tube amp

[/ QUOTE ]

Are Mesa Boogie's tube amps as good as Marshall?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would rather have an old JTM45 than anything else for rock guitar because I love the classic Marshall sound. But I'd rather have a new Mesa than a new Marshall. Most guitar players I have known talk about Mesa Boogie as being the best out there aside from custom boutique stuff. The modern Marshall amps are too harsh and edgy for me.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:43 AM

If you want genuine distortion, you have to get it from the amp itself. Those effect pedals are just trash. Buy a vintage fender tube amp, or there was this good line of amps finished in tweed by, um, crap, what was the brand, peavey. They had a good tube sounding overdrive. If that isnt heavy enough for you, buy an Ibanez green distortion pedal (I forgot the name), supposedly Stevie Ray Vaughan used it.

-J
Old 03-30-2007, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want genuine distortion, you have to get it from the amp itself. Those effect pedals are just trash. Buy a vintage fender tube amp, or there was this good line of amps finished in tweed by, um, crap, what was the brand, peavey. They had a good tube sounding overdrive. If that isnt heavy enough for you, buy an Ibanez green distortion pedal (I forgot the name), supposedly Stevie Ray Vaughan used it.

-J

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you about real tube distortion vs pedal distortion. But Fender doesn't really make tube amps for hard rock guitar, which is what the OP is looking for. The pedal you're referring to is the Ibanez Tube Screamer. It's a fantastic pedal, but it doesn't create a thick, heavy distortion. It's more akin to the sound of an old Fender cranked all the way up. Very raunchy, raspy and hot, but too bright and thin for hard rock if you're relying on it alone for your overdrive.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:53 AM

most of these amps you guys are listing, except for the line 6's, are all like 1k+. Most of them are even in the 2k range.

You should definately get a tube amp. Fender Blues Jr is a nice option. Its a nice smooth warm clean sound. Then add some pedals, Tonebone makes nice pedals.

As far as your guitar goes, its fine. Just get a stacked humbucker(Dimarzio makes a nice one, cant remember the name atm), throw that in for the bridge pickup. Then grab 2 newer fender single coils from their american made guitars and throw them in the mid and neck positions(maybe even some old Lace Sensor pickups[clapton uses/used them])
Old 03-30-2007, 04:54 AM

The older ibanez tube screamers are AMAZING. Run that through a blues junior and youre set.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:17 AM

Tube Screamers are great but won't get him anywhere close to the Eddie/EJ/Beck tone he's going for.

OP, I agree that a tube amp is ultimately where you want to end up when you have more experience, but maybe if you gave us an idea of what your outside budget is, we could come up with a gear list that makes sense for you. My impression from your current gear is that you don't have $400 to spend on guitar stuff right now.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:07 PM

go to another forum and do some research- they also have a great "user review section"
web page its

under the Community link-

I think the problem is coming from the pedals- the guitar isn't bad and the amp not bad either- usually those "cheap pedals" kill the signal and really effect tone
Old 03-30-2007, 12:15 PM

I would drop the DOD pedal. And all DOD/Digitech products.

I would straight line to the amp and spend some time twirling the knobs.

I really like the MXR pedals, and a decent compressor/gate might make you happy.

I'm a big believer in the simple. I think most pedals and accessories do less to improve play and do more to mask a players limitations. By using too many effects, I think a lot of players hinder their development.

Guitar + Amp is all you need.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would drop the DOD pedal. And all DOD/Digitech products.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Digitech Bad Monkey OD is almost worshipped at Harmony Central [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2007, 01:50 PM

If we're making referrals to other forums, then I'd suggest www.thegearpage.net.