Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 12:24 PM

Default ALIENWARE m9750: help me customize!

Hey guys, after getting quite a few recommendations based on my needs, I've decided to purchase an alienware m9750 notebook. Here's a little background on what I'm going to be using it for:

Poker is the main thing. I need a computer that will be able to run 6 or 7 poker sites at a time as well as internet browsers as well as PokerTracker, music, and other crap. I understand Alienware computers are generally gaming computers, but the speed of these computers is very attractive, and it's something I'm willing to pay for.

Here's the link to the customization page:

http://www.alienware.com/Configurato...de=SKU-DEFAULT

I'm willing to put in a lot of money to my computer. If needed I don't mind spending quite a bit on this computer. I would get a desktop, but I'm going to use this as a desktop replacement because I will be traveling quite a bit and need to have access to my computer.

One of my main questions is about SSD's (solid state drives). I'd like opinions from people who have used them, are they really worth the extra money? It's imperative that my poker results are saved on my computer, and one of the benefits from what I've read is that Solid Sate Drives are much more durable and harder to damage because they don't have any moving parts.

Again, I'm willing to pay top dollar for a computer that is very very fast, but I obviously don't want to waste money on things I absolutely don't need (for example, do I really need dual video cards for what I will be doing?)

As a final note I would like to add that I enjoy high quality music, I no longer use the low quality 128bit iTunes music. So please keep this in mind as well, if it makes a difference.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: ALIENWARE m9750: help me customize!

What makes this worth the extra 300-400 dollars at the basic level as opposed to something like a Dell that you can get similar parts for?

(I just referenced a pretty basic desktop vs a Dell that was of similiar parts??)

I am not pushing for dells...just wanting to understand what makes the alienware so so popular?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:49 PM

I haven't really done extensive research; my guess is that Alienware computers are simply more geared towards speed. Similar parts, yet just a bit higher end, capable of making a computer faster, at an extra couple pennies.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:17 PM

If you really want high end laptop, you should go with a company like VooDooPC or Falcon-NW.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:18 PM

if you really want a fast laptop, I would search for one with an 800Mhz front side bus if you are going to spend that kind of money. Maybe a 7200RPM HDD too.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:18 PM

wait a few years before thinking about getting a solid state drive they're way too new now (and not that big yet, and very expensive per GB)... faster laptop regular HD's are fine for now imo... the "200GB SATA 1.5Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache" would do very nicely
You do not need dual video cards unless you plan on using this machine as a gaming PC for many years.
You may want to consider other laptops also like mattnxtc said, there are better laptops out there for the price.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:21 PM

for the price of this laptop, you can build a VERY VERY fast desktop and buy a Very good laptop computer. and you can even get a case w/ an aliens head on it with alien grills on your fans. A big part of alienwares prices are their advertising they spend on all the computer magazines. If you wanted their high quality parts you can just copy their parts lists and buy the exact same components on Newegg, get a fancy Alien design case and save some $$$. just my opinion.

an actual conversation i had before...

me: wow this new game is coming out, its gonna be awesome, I cant wait to buy it, I am gonna have to upgrade my video card though before i get it.

dude: Yeah im getting it, and my system can run it no problem...

Me: wow really, what kind of computer do you have? intel? AMD? what kind of videocard monitor setup are you running.

Dude: Alienware dude.

Me: ohhh is it a AMD? how fast? memory? HD?

Dude: no, none of that crap. its a Alienware

Me: oh sweet.

Dude: *nodding head* "yup its an Alienware"

Me: *walking away now

imo' this is the kinda guy alienware targets, they got lots of money and dont know much about computers. they just know alienware is kickass
Old 10-18-2007, 04:23 PM

Any other opinions about SSD's? Has anyone used a computer with one? I'm considering just going with the standard hard drive, but if the SSD's are significantly better, I have the money to get one.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:35 PM

Also, what provide me with higher quality music- a solid state drive or a standard hard drive?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:41 PM

Also if you want the same form factor as Alienware/Falcon and want to save money, you can check out Sager laptops. generally the same form factor (Clevo) but a lot cheaper.