Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2006, 03:42 AM

Default KTo at NL25: A good time to slowplay?

Just wondering.

I'm new to NL, and it seems as if something like 85 percent of the time, when I bet, I'm effectively bluffing or semi-bluffing, since if I really get played back at, I'm not showing down UI. So, with that in mind, it makes some sense to bet when I really have it as well, since otherwise, you know, it's going to be like 98 percent of the time that I'm bluffing or semi-bluffing when I bet.

Anyway, I was new at the table and had no reads:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($34.30)
BB ($7.50)
UTG ($20)
UTG+1 ($21.92)
UTG+2 ($4.75)
MP1 ($6.68)
MP2 ($5)
MP3 ($20.64)
CO ($15.95)
Hero ($24.65)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, CO checks . . .

And now Hero does what, and why?
Old 09-19-2006, 03:45 AM

Default Re: KTo at NL25: A good time to slowplay?

PF: is I don't know. FR donk.

Flop, I would bet here. Had you been in the SB or earlier position, checking might have been better. But since you are last to act, I would bet here in attempts to build a pot. You'll generally always gain SOME value from flush draws, QJ, slowplayed K, sometimes retardedly played AA, etc. I would bet $1 here or so.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:47 AM

It's up to you, really. Many people will tell you to bet, which is a good option because you won't be giving KJ/KQ/AK free odds to draw to a better full house. You'll probably be checkraised by those hands anyway, including many worse kings. There are also two more tens, and one king that can potentially kill your action if they would happen to hit. There's an outside chance that somebody hits a straight-flush, but they'll probably call a bet or raise you with their draw as well.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:48 AM

You should bet here. If you check, there are only 2 streets to get someone's stack. Its alot easier with 3, plus the last bet is going to be much bigger than the previous two.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:29 AM

You need to bet this flop. You have a great chance to stack Kx. Also, flush draws and OESD are calling and you can stack them if they hit. I'd bet $1.25 and expect 1 or 2 callers.

You are better off slowplaying a hand like 96 on a 996 board.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:55 AM

I don't think there's anything wrong with a slowplay here. You dominate the board and you are extremely unlikely to become the 2nd best hand (if AK or KQ are out then you should have seen a bet preflop and if KJ is out you will know about it with at minimum one more card).

That being said, I like a gentle bet (0.75-1.00) that allows FD's &amp; Tx's to call comfortably and to start building this tiny pot. If you are lucky someone is slowplaying their Kx.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:52 AM

I definitely bet here. With this many people in the pot there is bound to be someone who has something they can call with - whether that's a draw (straight and flush) a 10 or best yet another K. Also, being on the button I think decreases your likelihood in other peoples eyes of having it - so I make a 3/4 pot bet.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop, I would bet here. Had you been in the SB or earlier position, checking might have been better. But since you are last to act, I would bet here in attempts to build a pot. You'll generally always gain SOME value from flush draws, QJ, slowplayed K, sometimes retardedly played AA, etc. I would bet $1 here or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I tried (I made a $1 bet), and I was surprised when I got five consecutive folds. I guess no one had much, but my results-oriented initial thought was, "Hmm. I guess maybe I should have checked?" So I thought I'd see what you guys had to say.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:19 PM

any hand that can improve to a decent hand can call a bet on the flop. so betting scares no one that had anything you could win money from anyway. I see no reason to check unless there is some sort of serial bluffer at the table