Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 10:15 AM

Default WSOP: does everyone act like an idiot, or just for the cameras?

Just watched all the main event episodes of ESPNs 2007 WSOP coverage.
All I want to see is someone actually acting like a pro when they win a big pot (maybe a silent little fist pump at most), rather than a total moron.
For those who have been there, do most people act normally when there isn't a camera around, or is stupidity pretty much standard, behaviour-wise?

Also, I thought the dueling prayer-fest between the Yang and Watkinson camps was pretty hilarious. If there is a god, I'm pretty sure he isn't into intervening in poker games, but who knows.

I remember when I was a kid watching a documentary on body language, and they had a bit on poker players and poker faces, and showed someone (Unger I think) winning the WSOP, and barely cracking a smile (narrator: "He's just won the world's biggest tournament and his emotions are still nearly completely supressed"). No whoops, no running around, no dancing, just a thin smile and a handshake to the defeated.
Don't see that much anymore.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: WSOP: does everyone act like an idiot, or just for the cameras?

Well 8 million dollars is a lot more than 1 million dollars
Old 11-09-2007, 11:44 AM

the WSOP ME is the biggest gathering of idiots who all think they are amazing i have ever been to.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I remember when I was a kid watching a documentary on body language, and they had a bit on poker players and poker faces, and showed someone (Unger I think) winning the WSOP, and barely cracking a smile (narrator: "He's just won the world's biggest tournament and his emotions are still nearly completely supressed"). No whoops, no running around, no dancing, just a thin smile and a handshake to the defeated.
Don't see that much anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

stu = seasoned high stakes gambler. also.. stu expected to win.. or at least knew he was capable of beating the entire field.

todays players = are not experienced high stakes gamblers. the final table for them is stressful, mind blowing, they're out of their element. so when something good happens they have extraordinary reactions. when their tournament life is on the line their emotions take over... they can't hold in that prayer to god that they might at less stressful times run through in their own mind. sheesh... 9th place paid 500k and first paid 8million. truly imagine if you were in that position.

hell i see similar behavior at a local tournament that's a 300 buy in with 12k to the winner. so i think we can "forgive them their trespasses".
Old 11-09-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All I want to see is someone actually acting like a pro when they win a big pot (maybe a silent little fist pump at most), rather than a total moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Acting like a pro when winning a big pot is pretty common, but it's not really too interesting, so they don't show it on TV. This is similar to how people complain that calm and professional athletes don't get as much hype as cocky loudmouths.

It irritates me too, but it totally makes sense.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Acting like a pro when winning a big pot is pretty common, but it's not really too interesting, so they don't show it on TV. This is similar to how people complain that calm and professional athletes don't get as much hype as cocky loudmouths.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's really what I'm asking, never having been there myself. I kinda assume that there is a dual effect of people hamming it up for the camera plus selecting clips of people going nuts.
It just strikes me that ten years ago no one at the final table would have put on a jumping-up-and-down-screaming display that seems to be the rule rather than the exception lately.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's really what I'm asking, never having been there myself. I kinda assume that there is a dual effect of people hamming it up for the camera plus selecting clips of people going nuts.
It just strikes me that ten years ago no one at the final table would have put on a jumping-up-and-down-screaming display that seems to be the rule rather than the exception lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

the reason: freerolls... 20 dollar satellites online.

take the good with the bad
Old 11-09-2007, 02:23 PM

BBBUUULLLLLLDDDOOOZZZEEERRR
Old 11-09-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BBBUUULLLLLLDDDOOOZZZEEERRR

[/ QUOTE ]

Hoo, hahhh, oooh ooh ahhh!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:38 PM

khan is the best thing to come out of the wsop, and hes actually not that bad