Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 10:41 AM

Default Re: DVD Discussion: Before Sunrise

[ QUOTE ]
I will be watching the sequel sometime soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I find the best way to watch the sequel is to give Sunrise at least a couple days to sit on your pallet before diving into Sunset. Give it a couple days to completely sink in. Then watch the next chapter. I've been hyping these films to a bunch of people and almost everybody who watched them back-to-back came back with lower opinions than those that gave it some time between.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:02 AM

Well I’m a little late to the party but I just watched the film last night and loved it. Thank you, thank you to everyone who recommended it! I thought the performances by Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy were brilliant and so natural. Wonderful script. I found myself hanging on every word.

I agree with diebitter about the listening booth scene. It was my favorite scene too. When she would look up at him he would look away and when he looked at her she looked away. You could feel the tension (nice music btw) and man did I want him to kiss her (and kiss her hard!) but he didn’t. Gah, men!

I thought the dialogue in this movie was really cool and unlike anything I’ve watched in recent years. Not pompous or contrived at all. I agree with Kdawg that both characters seem more learned than what we would expect and it was just wonderful.

Fyodor wrote –
“these things and probably some others I just don't now recall, led me to believe Jesse was a sceptical, untrusting, pessimistic character who is going to lead a very lonely life.”

Yes, I agree he was skeptical and slightly pessimistic but it didn’t matter to me. Like Celine said, what’s so wrong with conflict? We can have conflict and disagreements about important things and still feel love and admiration for the other person. You don’t have to agree on everything. It actually made the couple believable to me. His character became very masculine and logical. She was the romantic, wanting to believe in the palm reader’s words. He was the typical guy who scoffed at that kind of thing and enjoyed expressing his skepticism and creating conflict. It made him more real and yes even appealing.

I liked the part where they are in the bar (or was it a restaurant?) where they are pretending to be phoning home and talking with their friends. Delpy is just mesmerizing isn’t she? And that shot of them laying side by side in the grass after drinking their wine, Ethan Hawke has never looked so sexy. My only complaint about the whole movie…no sex scene! Why couldn’t the director have let that scene go a little longer before cutting?

I have to admit that I really didn’t want to watch towards the end. I dreaded the ending. What a tear jerker. It’s kind of weird because I never thought Ethan Hawke was very attractive before this but his performance was so nuanced and honest. I liked it better than Lost in Translation myself.

My question, will watching the sequel ruin the magic of this one for me? I am on the fence about renting the next one.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My question, will watching the sequel ruin the magic of this one for me? I am on the fence about renting the next one.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it only adds to the magic.

I just realized that I didn't write up anything substantial in this thread. I did watch it, then about a week later I watched Sunset. Pretty much I agree with a lot of what was already said. And it's way better than Lost in Translation, even though I not sure why these two movies are being compared.

These are two of my favorite films. I always tell people that it's my example of a "perfect" film. The direction, acting, dialogue, scenery, story, romance, and even the unresolved issues at the end that kept me thinking about it days and years afterwards. All adding up to a film that, for what it's trying to accomplish, is as close to perfection as I've ever seen.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Katy,

if you only ever trust me about one thing in all of cinema (to borrow a phrase), this is it: you pretty much have to watch the sequel. If you don't, you'll regret it
Old 06-11-2007, 11:58 AM

I was the one that started the Lost in Translation comparison. After the similarities first crossed my mind I found where other people had compared them as well.

For me both movies were essentially about connecting with another human being. The largest chunk of our lives is spent alone in our brains. Our life experience, although it can be similar to someone else's, is essentialy unique. It is rare in life to really connect with someone else. I have close friends I have known for 30 years and we still don't 'know' each other.

Both these movies attempted to portray how special that rare connection can be when it happens. Sunrise tackled it as a love story and for me, was consequently much more mundane.

Translation was a deeper and more joyfull connection to behold. Translation was a tougher movie for me to watch as it was less clear for a longer time what it was about. When it pulled together in the end I was as blown away as I have ever been at a movie. I thought Sophia did a brilliant job constructing that film. I thought Linklater did a good job of constructing a love story.

I realize I'm in the minority. Sunrise (and Sunset) were both well made films with good acting, but for me they didn't really deliver anthing more than the story itself. Translation got me high.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The sequel makes the original all the more poignant and amazing. Before Sunset so incredibly good it's scary. And the ending to the second one will make you smile and smile and smile....go rent it now!
Old 06-11-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And that shot of them laying side by side in the grass after drinking their wine, Ethan Hawke has never looked so sexy. My only complaint about the whole movie…no sex scene! Why couldn’t the director have let that scene go a little longer before cutting?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually really like the fact taht there was no sex scene. We all knew it happened when they were walking around at like 6 in the morning and that kind of adds to the magic of both films. THere are things that we know happened, but at the same time, don't really know. It plays on our imagination, which makes it fun

as far as watching before sunset, do it, do it soon, do it tommorrow. Actually, I'd give it a day or two and then watch it, but you'll love before sunset. I find myself putting it in a lot when I just want to see something that will make me smile and say yea at the end
Old 06-21-2007, 08:01 AM

God I want to marry Celine so badly. I just watched this film after having seen Before Sunset (weird watching that one first but actually I think it's a great way to go) and it is now perhaps my favorite film of all time (next to My Life as a Dog, and the Empire Strikes Back). Holy bajeezus it is good, and I'm a film production major so I would know [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I actually liked Before Sunrise more than Before Sunset, maybe because I'm just a hopeless romantic myself and secretly wish (or not so secretly now) that I could be Ethan Hawke. Their whole encounter in Before Sunrise is just pure magic and so is the movie imo.

Why is this movie so good? It's genuine, it's more real life than a documentary. There are so many fantastic moments after the next and really it's just two people talking. Simplicity is lost in modern cinema. Audiences today demand special effects and fancy editing but really the most beautiful things in life are the most simple. For instance, I love my mom, because she's my mom and she loves me. Simple right? Beautiful? Yes. Circular logic? Yes, but sometimes the most true things in life can't be explained, and those are also some of the best things in life.

The acting blew me away. Hawke and Delpy, wowowow, amazing together. Personally I think Delpy is even better than Hawke, but maybe that's because I couldn't keep my eyes off of the Boticelli angel. If I could show one film to an actor to explain what great acting is this would be it. I've said this before but it's just so real. Half of that is the script which is zomg amazing. I can't say enough about this movie, but seriously I think it just changed my life.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
God I want to marry Celine so badly. I just watched this film after having seen Before Sunset (weird watching that one first but actually I think it's a great way to go) and it is now perhaps my favorite film of all time (next to My Life as a Dog, and the Empire Strikes Back). Holy bajeezus it is good, and I'm a film production major so I would know [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I actually liked Before Sunrise more than Before Sunset, maybe because I'm just a hopeless romantic myself and secretly wish (or not so secretly now) that I could be Ethan Hawke. Their whole encounter in Before Sunrise is just pure magic and so is the movie imo.

Why is this movie so good? It's genuine, it's more real life than a documentary. There are so many fantastic moments after the next and really it's just two people talking. Simplicity is lost in modern cinema. Audiences today demand special effects and fancy editing but really the most beautiful things in life are the most simple. For instance, I love my mom, because she's my mom and she loves me. Simple right? Beautiful? Yes. Circular logic? Yes, but sometimes the most true things in life can't be explained, and those are also some of the best things in life.

The acting blew me away. Hawke and Delpy, wowowow, amazing together. Personally I think Delpy is even better than Hawke, but maybe that's because I couldn't keep my eyes off of the Boticelli angel. If I could show one film to an actor to explain what great acting is this would be it. I've said this before but it's just so real. Half of that is the script which is zomg amazing. I can't say enough about this movie, but seriously I think it just changed my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

very cool you liked these movies that much...if you want to see another side of Delpy's range check out Three Colors: White.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:04 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] this movie and would [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to discuss, but just can't bring myself to watch it.