Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Tourney info

[ QUOTE ]
For instance would I play a small pair with a low kicker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably only as a steal.

[ QUOTE ]
If I try an ante steal and get called do I continue to invest money in this pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on if you think you can get the other guy to fold.

[ QUOTE ]
Do I play draws at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

At all? Sure. For me, a live three-flush is almost an automatic call in a cash game. It's not so automatic in a tournament. I wouldn't really want to take 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] heads-up against a pair of Kings for a good chunk of my stack. But if there are a couple of players already in, or if the table is loose, I'm playing. I think your requirements of 15 BB and none out are both too tight.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:19 AM

OK so you want to gamble, I love that in an opponent:

First; find out what a tourney player's definition of "dead money" is. Because without it, there is no tourney.

Second; reconsider your need to "gamble", if you are still playing then make a list of all questions and then post them. Its much easier to give help that way. Good Luck, especially with the Aces.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:11 PM

I've looked at my final table finishes on pokerstars and I play about 25% of my hands so probably 21-22% full ring and 30% short handed. With pokerstars, the low buy-in tourneys you will get lots of action from small pairs and weak draws so be ready to hang on during a bumpy ride. As I have written elsewhere the online final table players tend to be overly agressive. Playing tight with more than 3bb is a good way to maximize money.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:43 AM

Ok in 6 tourneys out of a field of about 50 i'm averaging placing in the top 20% with finishes in 3th 4th 7th and 6th. So thats also a 66% at the final table. I'd like to thank all for the advice. I found sklansky's tips on when to play tight on the last table for the sake of moving up in places very valuable, but what I found very strategic was in Stud for advances the entire chapter about ante steals, because Ante steals in the later level make all the difference, and knowing which hands in relation to whihc position are the times to make the steal.

For ring games I play 5/10 so with a .50 ante the ante steal is a worthless play, and also why tighter play overall is more strategic and why "advanced" strategy worked against me by having me play more ahnds. However for a tourney with high ante the book as a whole is very valuable, like raising with a small pair with low kicker that are live, where as in 5/10 the hand is just folded. If I keep this pace I will play in the big one.

As far as draws go not only do I have to have three to a flush, but there has to be no more than one of that suit out since playing a draw can get expensive so I want to maximize the chance of hitting it. Also just because there is none out doesn't mean none are dead, whihc is more so why I want to see none of them out. Also I need a lot more than 5bb so that if the draw does not his im not short stacked, but i cant right off not drawing at all.

I think the most important facet was learning when to properly ante steal and of course the gap concept, if I'm not raising im not in, I'm not calling and where are starting with rolled up trips ina ring game I would slow play I would raise here.

If there seems to be any glaring red flags for my strategy please let me know.