Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 02:37 PM

Default 7 card for advanced

I read sklasnky's 7 card for advanced. He makes great points especially for loose tables. This thread is in regards to if anyone has any critiques though to this work. I have some and would like hear other's opinions and get some different perspectives.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Re: 7 card for advanced

The advice is solid and if you don't read it, you do so at your own peril. My criticism of the book centers around things like grammar and spelling.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:41 PM

You don't think he puts too much faith in low pairs. I mean he'll say a small pair is at a huge disadvanatge to a large pair and yet play them regularly hoping for them to improve to two pair. Also I like the low pair with ace kicker against a higher kicker, but i'm not so sure about taking it to the river, and not just 5th street. I think between Sklansky and Reese, when they disagree on an issue I see Reese's argument more profitable. But yes every serious seven card reader should read advanced he makes a lot of great points--but being a history teacher I can never put too much value in one source. I think opening the floodgates for low pairs (without high kickers) opens the flood gates to too many hands.

Also sometimes he contradicts himself. he advises a hand like KJ10 to raise to get heads up, but then in the appendix says that three overcards does not play well against a small pair and even mentions a fact that will surprise most readers. (Obviously you advised to get it heads up)
Old 08-12-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think opening the floodgates for low pairs (without high kickers) opens the flood gates to too many hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you're referring to here - the advice to go to the river with low pairs is almost always dependent on having a LIVE HIGH KICKER (so that if you make two pair, it will beat two pair your opponent is likely to make). Also, advice is not set in stone in the book - a lot depends on, how your opponent's board comes down, how live his cards are, how live your cards are, how you're perceived, how you expect the hand will be played (will you get a walk somewhere if you want it or is there likely to be a bet on every street, etc)?

Obviously, advising someone to go to the river with any low pair against a perceived high pair would be wrong, but this book doesn't do that. Also note that structure makes a difference in how hands should be played - it might be right to reraise with a lower pair than the raiser's doorcard in a game like 75-150 while it would be correct to fold in a 5-10 or 10-20 structure. Etc, etc, etc.

Jeff
Old 08-13-2007, 09:36 AM

Doc

I'm sorry but are you asking for a comments on the entire book, taken as a whole, or just the the loose game section?