Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Redoing my college apt and looking for advice

Due to unfortunate circumstances, I'm shopping to refurnish a (thankfully small) apartment.

Quickly, I decided I DIDN'T want: Oh. Wow. Another Ikea-decorated apartment. *yawn* Instead, I thought I do it all up, circa 1976-77, and throw a party at the end.

So, far, I'm including:

1. Shag carpeting (wall-to-wall way too pricy, but I thought I'd throw down a salvaged piece and dye it an unnatural color (dark, 'cause it'll probably be quite used.)
2. Bean-bag chairs
3. Possibly those egg-shaped chairs with speakers that swivel--though they sound expensive.
4. Coffee table--plastic or glass?
5. My TV is 80's era, and my younger friends will just assume it's period since it's not flat.
6. Lava lamps
7. Ceramic or glass hand made...um...you know
8. Scarves from the lamps--or was that just Stevie Nicks?
9. Posters from period bands and movies
10. Personal appearance: White-boy 'fro, polarized aviators, floral shirt (or is that '74 or so?) Earth-tone bellbottoms--what shoes? And to top it all off--and to scare the piss out of my mom--a hybrid, part-necklace, part small silver utensil (but not a knife or fork).
11. What to put on TV? PONG!!!!!

Anyone help this out? I'm worried that this stuff is SO old that it won't be in the Goodwill anymore and I'll actually have to pay a bit for it. Saw workable Pong on E-Bay for $10. Having a bit tougher go of it WRT the "necklace." How long must one's hair be to make a respectable 'fro?

Also, what did people drink back then? I know the ironic '90s were big on (frequently bastardized) Martinis, the '80s were about the finest scotch your upwardly-moblie life could afford, but before that...cheap California Chardonnay? I'll obviously have to stock something else, too!

One thing I WON'T do is the brandy snifter full of Q's, for a number of reasons: first, I don't even think they make them anymore, second, with the amount of booze I'm planning to provide, comped downers probably aren't smart, finally, I don't completely trust myself not to get piss drunk one night, run out of booze, and decide that a few Q's would be just the perfect nightcap. Just as a joke, does anyone know of an OTC that's: 1. cheap 2. similar-looking, and 3. hopefully won't kill me if I ever decide to take a handful?

Oh, I posted this in the Dorm 'cause some college friends and I will be partying, but I'm wondering if I shoulda put this in OOT, because few here will have any clue what I'm talking about. Oh, and a fun evening for 2-4 people for $40: buy a working PONG ($20 w/ shipping) and--IMPORTANT--partake of appropriate inspiration (can't imagine that's >$20 unless your last name's Chong) and good times result.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Redoing my college apt and looking for advice

dont forget that nobody used condoms in the seventies
Old 02-25-2007, 03:29 AM

I personally would probably get tired of it after awhile...
Old 02-25-2007, 09:51 AM

Wow you have a lot of ambition. I bought some couches at the good will and that's about it.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:32 AM

Do you have any idea how much you'll be spending?

You'll hate it when you turn 25
Old 03-04-2007, 05:16 PM

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
LINE BETWEEN
THROWING A
THEME PARTY
AND BEING
SUPER CREEPY
WHILE LIVING
IN THE PAST YOU

</pre><hr />