Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Do I legally have to pay Neteller back?

Recieved my first email from Neteller on the 18th of January..This is the second email which I recieved the 24th..Haven't heard from them since..Should I expect a letter from a collection agency soon?

The balance is outstanding in the amount of $750.00 because I used the instacash deposit method..Obviously didn't have the funds in my bank account (Yes, I know I'm a true degen haha)

Dear ******* ******,

Your NETELLER account remains outstanding in the amount of $750.00 USD. Failure to resolve this issue may result in a loss of NETELLER account privileges. This is our second request for repayment.

Please contact Cindy Miller immediately to arrange repayment. The following repayment options are available.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Do I legally have to pay Neteller back?

Neteller is in a legal limbo.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:22 PM

Of course you have a legal obligation to pay- same as any other debt. And yes, they'll probably turn it over to a collection agency.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:30 PM

The reason why I have a feeling I won't recieve a letter in the mail from a collection agency is because I have a friend who did something similiar with party poker only with their IGM-pay Instant check system and they threatened him to pay them back (it was around $1000) and he hasn't heard from them in months. I guess only time will tell.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:59 PM

In the meantime, their money is safe with you....

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

T
Old 02-07-2007, 11:44 PM

Answer: no
Old 02-08-2007, 12:49 AM

You would be insane and a fool to pay them. Screw em. Why would you pay a company that is ripping players off daily for the interest on the player's money they hold illegally?

I would tell them to contact you at your support number. Make them wait for hours then keep disconnecting on them. Finally, let them get a hold of you and tell them they haven't been paid yet because of the unexpected volume you are dealing with and that you can't give them an expected date at the moment. Assure them there money is safe with you and that you hold in a segregated account.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would tell them to contact you at your support number. Make them wait for hours then keep disconnecting on them. Finally, let them get a hold of you and tell them they haven't been paid yet because of the unexpected volume you are dealing with and that you can't give them an expected date at the moment. Assure them there money is safe with you and that you hold in a segregated account.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:30 PM

No, my brother owed them like 800 they call him from time to time demanding he pay but he just says no and hangs up. Its been about 2 years and I think they are finally giving up.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course you have a legal obligation to pay- same as any other debt. And yes, they'll probably turn it over to a collection agency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

It seems the US gov't holds that Neteller is engaging in illegal activity by "aiding and abetting" gambling. I'm almost 100% certain illegal debts are NOT enforcable. You may or may not feel repayment is the "right" thing to do, but as to "legally required," the answer is you're not EDIT: potentially influenced by the pending criminal court case.

Think of it this way: you may want to pay the crack man because he'll have your kneecaps broken if you don't, but he has no legal standing in a US court. (And obviously Neteller doesn't break kneecaps.)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If it is indeed an illegal debt, can his credit rating even be affected?