Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2006, 05:43 AM

Default *** GS Warriors 2006-07 Thread

I just got back from opening night, and the game was a disgrace. I'll save berating the players for another time, but I've never seen a team give up to the degree the warriors coaches did tonight. Late 3rd/early 4th quarter the Lakers went on a run and took a big ~15 point lead, so the warriors pulled all their starters and went with a lineup of Diogu, OBryant, Ellis, Pietrus, and Roberson, who was terrible. Ellis pretty much singlehandedly brought the team back to within 9 with almost 4 minutes left, and the team kept looking at the game as garbage time. Instead of bringing in Baron or Jrich and taking out roberson and OBryant (and Diogu but I'll get to him in a minute) they just left the second team in. OBryant took some awful shots and they blew a perfectly good chance to come back. down 9 with 4 minutes left is NOT garbage time. WTF Nelson?

Anyway, Diogu looked awful. Completely confused and just didn't seem to be doing anything in the half court offense. Of course, this was endemic to the whole team, their half court seemed to be based on giving Murphy(!) the ball up at the top and letting him do something with it. Baron didn't really drive and dish at all, when they should definitely be setting high screens for him with Murphy who can roll out and become a shooter while opening up the lane for Baron. Instead there was a lot of standing around and confusion. J Rich was never part of the offense at all, most of his shots were a result of him dribbling around and taking a fadeaway. I understand he's rusty, but they're just playing tons of one on one.

They actually got some nice play going in transition, except they missed ~100 wide open shots. Dunleavy can't hit a mid range jumper, and the team was 3/19 from behind the arc. Unlike last year though, they actually had good looks, and Murphy was doing a good job getting to the basket but just couldn't finish.

Biedrins is the only big on the team who can play any D, look for his minutes to go way up. Monta Ellis is a baller. He's gonna be really good. I don't even want to talk about free throws.

cliffs notes: same old warriors