Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Retarded interview question

i agree w/ Noah,

i'm (fortunately) all done w/ OCI/callbacks and had a ton of interviews over the last month or so. i wasn't asked any dumb questions like this. ALL of the interviews were very conversational and relaxed, with the same questions over and over. if you can a) explain why you like the firm, b)explain why you like the city, c) be prepared to talk a bit about some of the stuff on your resume(including why you chose the schools you went to, how you enjoyed past activities, etc.), and d) have some intelligent questions ready, you'll be fine in 99% of interviews, so long as you're not a douche.

that's not to say that these things don't get asked. but i think they are rare enough that it would be a huge waste of time to try and prepare answers for these. someone who asks stupid questions like this is probably going to ask something you never thought about anyways.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One is he wants to see how people react with a situation that they are not expecting. Two is that he wants to see what a person is like without a scripted answer to a question. And third, which he said is his biggest reason, is for pure entertainment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ask a lot of unusual questions when I interview. I don't particularly care what the answer is. I am probing to better profile them. If I see something worth following up on in an answer I dig into it. I also ask increasingly hard to answer questions, sometimes technical, sometimes not, until I get them into an area where they can't answer. I want to see how they handle this by:
-seeing if they get frustrated, irritable, or stubborn under stress.
-walking them through the answer step by step and seeing if they listen.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:17 PM

The most important part of the interview is "So do you have any questions for me/us?" What have you guys come up with/heard that you'd like to share? Also, any advice on this topic would be great [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The most important part of the interview is "So do you have any questions for me/us?" What have you guys come up with/heard that you'd like to share? Also, any advice on this topic would be great [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's usually best (in a 1-on-1) to ask personal questions about your interviewer.

"How long have you worked here"
"Where did you work previously"
"what do you like about the corporate culture"

I think it's good to give a *small* impression that you would not immediately accept any offer they gave you, even if you would. You are finding out if the company is a good fit for you, just like they are doing the same for the company.

Asking about benefits is *sometimes* good as well (typically not real early in the interview process, but when you are getting towards the end). Don't get too in depth, as most of these details are discussed during the offer.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a power plant

[/ QUOTE ]

Winner.

But if you want to have fun, immediateley reply (as if you were anticipating the question):

"Bouganvilla, because they're so colorful, and I'm a colorful person!"

But if you really want the job, immediately tell them you're kidding, and that you would be a power plant, or a weed or something, 'cause weeds are steadfast or some other bullsh*t.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be a marijuana plant, because I enjoy smoking marijuana and if I were a marijuana plant I wouldn't have to buy it from anybody, I could just pinch off a bud and smoke myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! If you were a hot dog, and you were starving, would you eat yourself? I know I would. First I'd smother myself with brown mustard and relish; I'd be sooo delicious. So, would'ya? It's a simple question, even a baby can answer it.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey! If you were a hot dog, and you were starving, would you eat yourself? I know I would. First I'd smother myself with brown mustard and relish; I'd be sooo delicious. So, would'ya? It's a simple question, even a baby can answer it.

[/ QUOTE ]

HEY!

Old 09-29-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a power plant

[/ QUOTE ]
Then when he asks why, you just stare him down.

I would probably say "an echoing yerretarded plant, so the next time you ask me a question like this I can instinctively say you're retarded