Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Dating a poker pro- From the perspective of a non-playing girlfrie

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
can't fathom trying to take a 'traditional' job that pays 'only' $50k because he used to make/lose that in one week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that sounds almost brat-like but I fully understand and agree with him. You can't go backward and ever be happy again.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't see this as a good quality to have, do you?

I have this same way of thinking and I only made mid five figures last year. I'm a college student and working a typical college $10-15/hr a job would be torture for me. I know this is a bad thing though.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't see this as a good quality to have, do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe you can assign a normative assessment to this quality. It is just human nature.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:52 PM

Seriously why is it that you cant work a 50k a year job that you kinda enjoy if you won or lost that in weeks? I cant really find any words because i suck with english language, but arent those guys turned into money hungry ho's? I mean life isnt all about the money? I dont see how you suddenly cant work a job you enjoy for 'only' 50k. Or is it the thrill of losing and winning it?
Old 11-11-2007, 10:14 PM

It is because you can't pay for all the things you use to have before.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously why is it that you cant work a 50k a year job that you kinda enjoy if you won or lost that in weeks? I cant really find any words because i suck with english language, but arent those guys turned into money hungry ho's? I mean life isnt all about the money? I dont see how you suddenly cant work a job you enjoy for 'only' 50k. Or is it the thrill of losing and winning it?

[/ QUOTE ]\

Because people want what money brings: freedom to buy things they want (for themselves and for others), financial security, etc.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:09 AM

It isn't even that they want them, Lots of people convent luxury items. Growing up in a middle income household I always wanted nicer things than what my family could afford. Had I gone off and achieved a $75k/year income I would have been happy. But once you go and start experiencing the lifestyle possible from a much larger income you can't go back to living off $75K and still be happy.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It isn't even that they want them, Lots of people convent luxury items. Growing up in a middle income household I always wanted nicer things than what my family could afford. Had I gone off and achieved a $75k/year income I would have been happy. But once you go and start experiencing the lifestyle possible from a much larger income you can't go back to living off $75K and still be happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Money doesn't buy happiness, but lack of money makes for incredible sadness. Especially when you have had it. Hard to start over at ground zero.

My friend has lost all concept of working for money. And he has gotten himself into a bigger hole every month with no end in sight. Plus, he has no desire to work 50 hours a week at an office job for what he deems to be little pay.

Gambling (which is what day-trading really is) has devoured his soul -- perhaps permanently.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My friend has lost all concept of working for money. And he has gotten himself into a bigger hole every month with no end in sight. Plus, he has no desire to work 50 hours a week at an office job for what he deems to be little pay.

Gambling (which is what day-trading really is) has devoured his soul -- perhaps permanently.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know someone like this too, ex-day trader.