Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2006, 12:15 PM

Default 10/20 Live: TT in a big pot with a lot of action

A hand I played yesterday in a very good 10/20 E game with one player donking away money at a record speed (raising preflop without looking at his cards, capping preflop without looking at his cards, raising the turn with gutshots and more donktastic plays).

The hand:

Donk doesn't look at his cards and raises and is cold called by a very loose player (somewhat aggressive). The next player (A solid TAG 3-bets, his range is wide here since he know what I know: the other two player play any 2). I'm next to act with T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and <font color="red">cap</font>. I get one cold caller behind me, and the other players that are already in the hand call the cap.

We see the flop 5-way (10 BB): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

The maniac bets (He still doesn't know his hand I think), loose player calls, tag calls, <font color="red">I raise</font>, player behind me folds, maniac 3-bets, loose player calls, tag folds, <font color="red">I cap</font>, maniac calls, loose player calls.

Turn (3-handed, approx. 16BB): 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Maniac bets again, this means he has something (one pair, gutshot, or something better...). Loose player calls, <font color="red">I raise</font>, Maniac 3-bets and is all-in. Loose player calls and <font color="red">I call</font>.

River comes: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Loose player checks, <font color="red">I check</font>.

What do you think of my play in this hand?

I think preflop cap is standard, and raise/capping the flop for value and protection (the other TAG will have almost always have overcards in this spot) is the best play.

On the turn: it is clear that the maniac wants his last money in the pot, so I help him with raising so he can 3-bet all-in. This means that the loose player needs to call two extra big bets so he will pay the max when drawing. Also since i'm still reasonable sure that I have the maniac beat it looks like a clear value raise on the turn since I will be putting in just 33% of the money. Or do you think I'm thowing in to much money in the pot with my hand here?

Now to the last two decisions: cap the turn yes or no? The loose player could still be drawing to a flush/straight or he could pay me of with a hand like 9x. If he has me beat it's probably with some weak two pair hand, he would show aggression with a set or stronger hand for sure and probably also with a good two pair hand.

River: check or bet? He will probably call with a lot of weak hands since the pot is HUGE, but there is a decent probability my hand isn't best anymore or that he can't call a bet (flushdraw without a pair, ace high). Bet or check?
Old 11-18-2006, 12:24 PM

Default Re: 10/20 Live: TT in a big pot with a lot of action

given the reads and action i would cap the turn for value from the looseplayer who is often drawing or behind to us. given that he can be aggressive i doubt he has a hand that is ahead of us very often. on the river, i would bet because we get paid off by a nine or some worse hand often enough because the pot is so big. it would suck to see JJ or 99 or 44 here but that isn't the point of the bet.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:26 PM

Preflop: With all that dead money in the pot I think a cap is good and it should get the TAG thinking you have a big hand whereas the fish will just pay off.
Flop: Barring a rainbow, this is about as good as it gets with TT. I want to get as many bets in as possible because your edge looks good against these weak players and you can get TAG to fold overs.
Turn: Might as well get maniac all in. I don't know if there is much reason to cap once he gets all in; however, you are probably ahead and are just charging loosey more to draw so a cap is OK.
River: Not a great card but better than a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. A lot of ugly draws from maniac have outdrawn you here but he could certainly have something much more ragged than that. Loose player probably has not called down with just 1 pair, he either is way dead with a flush draw or has some ragged 2 pair that beats you. He hasn't shown any aggression yet but I hate to get c/red in this spot when behind and folded often when he missed his draw, so I check.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:53 PM

Why not call the flop and wait for a raise on the turn if a blank hits? I think by raising the flop with all these callers we are inviting them to draw out on us later in the hand. Everything else I like.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not call the flop and wait for a raise on the turn if a blank hits? I think by raising the flop with all these callers we are inviting them to draw out on us later in the hand. Everything else I like.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the raise on the flop is a no brainer, and as you can see: the raise resulted in the folding of the player behind me (After the hand he told the table he would have hit the runner runner flush if he would have stayed in the pot) and I got also rid of the TAG (with two overs). The maniac is never folding and the loose player is also never folding before the river.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:29 PM

10/20 live? You're playing at the HC?
Old 11-18-2006, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
10/20 live? You're playing at the HC?

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (the rake is brutal with 5% up the 15 E (that's almost 20$!), but the game is without a doubt beatable as you can see from this hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 11-18-2006, 02:36 PM

Sjees, and to think they're not allowed to make a profit. Oh, yes, from what I heard a party $1/2 table is more difficult than the usual 10/20 games there. Not sure how much of that is actually true. How are you doing at 5/10 online?
Old 11-18-2006, 06:37 PM

Turn is definately a cap. I would bet the river too.

Um, flop I think is just a call. There are a ton of cards that will make you want to just fold on the turn, so I would wait for a safe one and raise it then.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn is definately a cap. I would bet the river too.

Um, flop I think is just a call. There are a ton of cards that will make you want to just fold on the turn, so I would wait for a safe one and raise it then.

[/ QUOTE ]

TKO,
I would advocate a flop raise here to knock out TAG, who will play his hand properly if you let him stay in. Don't you think it would be important to knock him out here with weak overs that he might call for cheaply? However in most cases I would wait for turn as well when edge is either much bigger or gone.