Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Change job or not?

Cliff notes at the end.

I have been working in Finance since 1998.
I have worked with very well known investment banks.
In 2004 I moved to one of the top 3 US firms in London where I had a very bad experience which lasted about 1 year then I moved to a smaller and more relaxed bank.
At that point, including a internship at real early stage of my career, I already changed 4 banks and this was my fifth.

Things started going really well, doing great business and having an amzing relationship with my boss.
After less than 1.5 yr my boss resigned to be head of a large european institution...initially shock I have then been called by him and offered a job over there.

I instatook the job.

So in september 2006 I started my new job with the 6th bank...bank which is huge but a bit of a mess.

Business anyway picked up with beginning of 2007 putting me in a very good position towards management, something that did not happen to my boss who struggled a bit.

For whoever is not familiar with investment banking/trading floor: everything is pretty much performance related and performance=money you make.

In February my boss told me he was in a very advanced stage of interviews with another firm because he could not stand the current bank and I ahd to follow him because I was part of his project.

Current bank got to know that and decided to fire him.
He now started at the new bank and he already offered me a job.

Now I give you all the points to elaborate:
I am doing really well, 50% of my budget in 2 months and a strong pipeline; current bank is very well established in my business area and some great relationships with cleints will help me even further.

I have not a boss at the moment and they are planning to hire somebody to put on top of me, I tried to push some very good dudes I know from other firms but it looks they saw someone I don't know=I don't know if he will rbing his men.

My boss new job it is with a very respectable firm not that well known in my business area and without a great pedigree.

Today's news: my bank will be subject of an aggressive takeover from another bank very strong in my business area.

NOW?

IF I move I will have another name on my CV which will look ridicolous then.

If I stay I am not sure about the future of the institution.

If I move I am sure I will have great support by my boss who demonstrated to take care of me.

If I stay I might be going ahead with the current pipeline and even in case of a take over I will be indispensable.

I did not mention money because I am fairly sure that any offer that the new bank will amke will be possibly matched by the current one.

MOVE OR STAY?

Cliff Notes: Changed several jobs in the last few years now facing a very difficult decision whether moving again or not.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Change job or not?

Brag: I read every third word of this post and it revealed to me a secret OLD AS TIME.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Change job or not?

GA, I tried that and didn't get anything. Hints?