Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Summary of Absolute issue

There is recent evidence (circa 9/15/07) which suggests that a high stakes player on Absolute Poker has gained the ability to see another player’s hole cards and has created account(s) to exploit that advantage.

The issue surfaced when one of the suspected accounts, POTRIPPER, made a call heads up at the final table of Absolute Poker’s $1000 bounty event (9/12/07) to win the tournament with Tc 9c on a 4h Kd Kh 7s board. The final HU hand history is reprinted below.

Stage #896976330 Tourney ID 1883389 Holdem Multi Normal Tournament No Limit $4500 - 2007-09-13 01:43:49 (ET)
Table: 14 (Real Money) Seat #3 is the dealer
Seat 3 - POTRIPPER ($765740 in chips)
Seat 8 - CRAZYMARCO ($214260 in chips)
POTRIPPER - Ante $450
CRAZYMARCO - Ante $450
POTRIPPER - Posts small blind $2250
CRAZYMARCO - Posts big blind $4500
*** POCKET CARDS ***
POTRIPPER - Calls $2250
CRAZYMARCO - Checks
*** FLOP *** [4h Kd Kh]
CRAZYMARCO - Checks
POTRIPPER - Bets $9000
CRAZYMARCO - Calls $9000
*** TURN *** [4h Kd Kh] [7s]
CRAZYMARCO - Checks
POTRIPPER - Bets $13500
CRAZYMARCO - All-In(Raise) $200310 to $200310
POTRIPPER - Calls $186810
*** RIVER *** [4h Kd Kh 7s] [5s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
POTRIPPER - Shows [10c 9c] (One pair, kings)
CRAZYMARCO - Shows [9h 2h] (One pair, kings)
POTRIPPER Collects $428520 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total Pot($428520)
Board [4h Kd Kh 7s 5s]
Seat 3: POTRIPPER (dealer) (small blind) won Total ($428520) HI$428520) with One pair, kings(ten kicker) [10c 9c - B:Kh,B:Kd,P:10c,P:9c,B:7s]
Seat 8: CRAZYMARCO (big blind) HI:lost with One pair, kings [9h 2h - B:Kh,B:Kd,P:9h,B:7s,B:5s]

Absolute Lobby screenshot of the win.

Prior to winning this tournament, POTRIPPER played two pokerdb recorded tournaments finishing 234th out of 234 and 140th out of 148 as seen in his pokerdb stats here:

Date Buyin Tournament/Event Place Entrants Winnings

9/12/2007 $1,000 NL Hold'em 1 98 $30,000.00
7/5/2007 $5 NL Hold'em 234 234 —
7/5/2007 $50 NL Hold'em 140 148 —

In that (9/12) tournament, THAY3R played at his table and reported that while at the table, POTRIPPER player 76/60 with infinite river aggression. Adanthar later pointed out that in that same tournament POTRIPPER amassed an extraordinary amount of chips early by making similar calls.

Several posters offered info re: other AP players with similar PokerTracker statistics from high stakes ring game play. Suspected AP accounts include:

DOUBLEDRAG (based PT stats offered by posters)
GREYCAT (based PT stats offered by posters)
SUPERCARD (alleged to Adanthar in off-thread post)

Posters offered several screenshots of PT databases where, in a very few hands, villain(s) had accumulated multiple buy-ins with a VPIP% of 85+% and a high and sometimes infinite river aggression factor.

Note: An infinite river aggression factor is consistent with perfect knowledge of your opponent's hole cards at the river. A PokerTracker Aggression Factor is calculated as follows (raise % + bet %)/call %. A player who could see another player’s hole cards would never just CALL at the river. He’d BET or RAISE if he was winning and FOLD if he were losing. It is highly unlikely that a player could make every river play perfectly unless he knew his opponents' hole cards.

Adanthar collected a number of hand histories, PT databases and side comments off-thread including this one which suggests that the accounts belong to one person and offers insight into how the AP system may have been compromised…

I've played a whole lot on AP this year, especially over the summer.

Oddly enough, I missed out on most of the GEYCAT/SUPERCARD/etc. games due to sheer coincidences of timing (basically I'd be out or sleeping when he'd show up). Still, I played about 10 sessions with the guy, including one heads up, and noticed exactly what everyone else is noticing:

1) His hand selection pre-flop is so bad (especially 9 handed) that he should be losing a fortune against the top-flight players he's been facing. Instead, he's been winning big almost every session.

2) It is very rare that he will fold if you miss the flop.

3) When you are holding a huge hand, he folds often.

Basically, yes, he plays like someone who can see your cards. But that's nothing new to anyone on this thread. I've played against legitimate players who have run so well that I'd swear they could see my hand if I didn't know better. We've also all seen examples of huge donks running up amazing short-term streaks that we never thought were possible -- including odd plays that leave us scratching our heads.

So what's the difference here? Perhaps nothing, perhaps something. But the evidence we've seen so far, some anecdotal, others more damning, makes this worth another look.

Before I go on, I can confirm that GREYCAT, SUPERCARD, and the other suspect accounts posted here ARE indeed the same person. This isn't an assumption or a guess. It's a fact. PM me if you want me to explain this part further.

So we have this GREYCAT person playing on multiple accounts -- sometimes chip-dumping between them -- and playing the highest games Absolute Poker has to offer. He plays both limit and no limit, yet top regular players from both games report the same suspicious experience with him.

He has won a ton of money (does anyone have the exact figures?), and rarely seems to lose.

If he is cheating, I think I know how he's doing it.

Long before GREYCAT showed up, there was some concern that AP had a "superuser" account, created by its software developers. This account, created strictly for testing purposes, would be able to see all cards of all players in all games. As a software programmer by trade, I can tell you that such an account would be very helpful in the development and testing process for a complicated piece of software like AP. I referred to there being "some concern" that such an account exists. I say this because I have some circumstantial evidence (which I can't share in public) that this is true, but I don't have any proof. Furthermore, prior to this GREYCAT situation, I had no reason to believe that this account ever fell into the wrong hands.

But what if it did fall into the wrong hands? Perhaps someone could have hacked it. Perhaps a rogue ex-developer of the software could have passed some info along to an accomplice. Perhaps a lot of things.

The fact is that, if GREYCAT did get access to such an account, he'd pretty much be doing exactly what he's doing now. Yes, maybe some subtlety would have done him better (so as to avoid this suspicion), but history is full of criminals whose otherwise brilliant capers were foiled by just a bit too much greed.

It's time to stop guessing and get some answers here. Obviously AP will never admit their system was compromised, even if it were true. That would pretty much be the equivalent of poker room suicide. We need to put together a concrete plan of action to either prove this guy is a fraud, or prove to ourselves that we're a bunch of paranoid fools. Either way, we need to prove something. In the next post, I'll give my suggestions on what I feel we should do next.

Adanthar reviewed a number of HHs from ikestoys and posted a number of hands that evidence a pattern of play consistent with the ability to see his opponent’s cards. i.e. avoiding monster hands, betting hard in spite of scare cards, infinite river aggression, etc.

The other 2+2 posters reported PT databases with similar stats on the suspected accounts include…

Slider (3660+ posts)
A2steaksauce (70+ posts)
teddyFBI (3260+ posts)
Ikestoys (3700+ posts)
Bonafone (900+ posts)

Screenshots of PT databases…

A2steaksauce

Bonafone

teddyFBI

another teddyFBI

ikestoys?

Other info...

The evidence presented is from higher stakes play.

One of the villain’s screen names, POTRIPPER, is also the name of a known hacking tool.

Hope this helps.

Edmond
Old 09-16-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Summary of Absolute issue

wtf? imsa did this already
Old 09-16-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Summary of Absolute issue

locking this as a dupe, but it's detailed so I'll leave a link to it in the other thread
Closed Thread