Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Best line on the turn?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I raise this preflop 99% of the time, but if you don't feel comfortable doing that yet, it's fine, it's going to have to change soon but for now, checking is fine. If you do check however, realize, you only want to play a small pot, check raising the flop doesn't do that. A lot of limit players see tptk and an opportunity to cr and get an extra bet. This is the exact opposite thinking you want in NL. If you cr here, all worse hands, Ax, 99, etc, fold and only better hands/draws call. Sometimes, even worse hands will call thinking they are good and only making your life more miserable because you have to play a bigger pot oop. I like a lead here, for pot, it makes the hand much easier to play. It's an easy turn fold and the result is probably the same if you lead flop, lead turn, but the money is going in better.

I really can't stress this enough:

LIMIT PLAYERS: RESIST THE URGE TO CHECK RAISE THE FLOP WITH ONE PAIR IN LIMPED POTS.

I think this adjustment is just as important as getting away from the mindset of TPTK being the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post AZK.

My thought process -

pre-flop i am not comfortable playing OOP with a field which does not fold lightly to raises like the table I was playing on, I did not feel confident that the field would thin, so i opted to just check. I agree that the hand will play better even though its unsooted with a raise, but as you pointed out I'm still uncomfortable with playing out of position.

As for the flop c/r, my plan was to c/call because the opponents were playing loose and agressive, but my plan changed when the button bet the flop. From what i have seen of his play so far he looks for any opportunity steel reguardless of his holdiings, I decided to change my plan and instead raise to isolate, which worked yet didnt have the same results I expected.

My read on the villain was that he would bet the flop with a strong A, check behind with a weak A and a monster (a monster might be 2 pair in his eyes). I don't know yet how he would play a gutshot hand or a set because he keeps winning pots where he represents big hands seeing showdown. I also know he is very agressive and prone to steal, so I opted to bet the turn because I thought it was better than check/folding to an overbet (was I wrong?).

With these adjustments, do you still feel raise pre-flop, bet flop, check turn is the best line? I deviated from the standard, perhaps I shouldn't have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isolation raising is more important, and less costly in limit poker. It goes down in value in no limit because you get to set the bet size in no limit, and because you get clobbered for so many more bets when you isolate the wrong player at the wrong time. It's not something to take out of the toolbox totally, but it should definitely be done less often in NL.