Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: CONGRATULATION JERRY YANG!!!! 2007 main event CHAMP

Great post bobneptune. If this was bond18 or nath playing like Jerry, this site would indeed be orgasmic. I am an atheist and have no need for Jerry's religious views, but give the man some credit - he played fearless power poker. Just because he's old, foreign and overtly religious is no reason to denigrate the fact that he TOOK that title.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i thought only 1 player per hand... first chan and gold.. now yang and god.. ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

Congrats Jimmy. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2007, 08:20 PM

If you're talking about the Judeo-Christian God, then there's no such thing as Him being too busy. I agree with your assessment that the outcome of a poker tournament is a bit trivial, but I have no problem with praying, particularly in a high-stress situation with people watching and money on the line. Praying for the emotional well-being to make good decisions, and be gracious in winning or losing is what I think would be good to pray for, IMHO.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:27 PM

No good MTT players have bashed Yang for his play. People who have are just retarded people who don't understand tournament poker. He may not be very good at poker, but Yang played the FT better than anyone else.(I've probably said this like 500 times)
Old 07-18-2007, 08:28 PM

say what you want about his game, but this guy is a nice dude. and his stance that he'll be whereever he needs to be to help poker and poker players' rights is fantastic.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure this guy had the cards run over him for 16 hours. Why? Nearly every time someone played back at him he had a hand. Get reraised with AQ? Oh I happen to have JJ. Get reraised on the final hand? Oh I happen to have 88 heads-up. Get check-raised on the turn? Oh I happend to have AK that hand with TPTK. Reraise the UTG raiser and BB 3-bets? QQ of course! I can't think of a single time where he bluffed other than some weak-sauce bet on the river when it got checked down.

You can't beat a guy who a) raises a ton of hands b) always has a better hand when you play back at him and c) always calls your reraises with those better hands.

I think he got more good hands than the rest of the table combined.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, you think he had a good hand every single time he raised? we will see when we see the hole cards, and you're going to be wrong. projecting a maniac image but only going to showdown with good hands is called playing well.

anyways, i agree with what bobneptune said. his style may be -EV in cash games, but lots of successful tourney pros play the same way. if gun hanson was there instead of yang and played the same way yang did, then everyone would praise hanson as a genius.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:41 PM

Very nice and interesting post.

I am always turned off when people spout relegious beleifs in public, especially athletes who thank the Lord etc.. for enabling them to score the winning touchdown, but thats just me.
I like Jerry Yang and think he will be Great for Poker.

He has more universal appeal than some young internet hotshot or most name Pros. You think Humberto Brenes or Lee W. or Chad Brown would be better ?

If he gets out there and becomes the Poker Ambassador, people will love him, his story and who and what he is. This will give poker more credibility with anti-gamers and draw more mainstream people into poker.

Congrats Jerry Yang !!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:51 PM

What if he would have been a Muslim and started praying to Allah for divine intervention, and had a picture of Osama Bin Laden as a card protector?

Just because N. American religious fanatics tend to be Christians doesn't make it any less asinine or insulting to sane human beings.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if he would have been a Muslim and started praying to Allah for divine intervention, and had a picture of Osama Bin Laden as a card protector?

[/ QUOTE ]

Comparing his kids to the worlds #1 terrorist is a new low, even for 2+2.

It's easy to bash someone who's done better than you. Whatever makes you feel better. I know Jerry, and I know he's truly humble and worthly of winning. He's not the best poker player in the world; but he played the absolute best within his abilities, given the table conditions.

A previous poster is right. If this was a frequent 2+2'er who frequently posts his encounters with hookers and drugs after a big win, everyone would be having multiple orgasms at how he 'pwnd' the WSOP ME.

Jerry is one of the most unoffensive people I have ever met in my life; I've played with him many times, and spoke with him in length before the ME this year.

Congrats, Jerry! Well deserved, and earned.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:36 PM

Yang recalled growing up in Laos in meager circumstances.

"I lived in the mountains, very, very poor," he said. "I didn't own a ball or marbles. Whenever my parents killed a pig, we would use the bladders and blow it up and use it as a fell to play. That's how poor I was."

congrats Jerry, remarkable victory.