Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Mother commits suicide at same spot as her only daughter

there are many good arguments against suicide that aren't just emotional appeals. jimm has presented zero of them. i think people arguing against jimm have presented better logic for jimm's position than jimm himself has.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there are many good arguments against suicide that aren't just emotional appeals. jimm has presented zero of them. i think people arguing against jimm have presented better logic for jimm's position than jimm himself has.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed. also, upon reading all the posts in this thread, you appear to have everything under control so i will be stepping away from the OOT now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2007, 04:22 PM

You guys arguing the girl was being selfish for killing herself, Do you think it was selfish for the boy to break up with her because of all the pain he caused her? Should he have just stayed with her until she got tired of him?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:23 PM

Jim,

You seem very emo.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:25 PM

Fine. Even though mason's doing a fine job already.

[ QUOTE ]
It is an intensely stupid and selfish act for this girl to have killed herself over some little tiff with her boyfriend.

[/ QUOTE ]
As already stated, you have no idea what other [censored] she had going on inside that drove her to make this decision. To assume to know her complete reasoning and trivialize her pain based on a 300 word column on bbc belies 3rd grade reasoning skills at worst and small-minded arrogance at best.

[ QUOTE ]
In a sense, her life is not hers to take. As an only child, she killed three people when she killed herself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whose exactly is it to take, if not hers, and how does her mother only having one child instead of 2 or 3 or 7 have any impact on that? Is the right to live my own life as I choose highly or completely dependent on if I have any siblings iyo?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fine. Even though mason's doing a fine job already.

[ QUOTE ]
It is an intensely stupid and selfish act for this girl to have killed herself over some little tiff with her boyfriend.

[/ QUOTE ]
As already stated, you have no idea what other [censored] she had going on inside that drove her to make this decision. To assume to know her complete reasoning and trivialize her pain based on a 300 word column on bbc belies 3rd grade reasoning skills at worst and small-minded arrogance at best.

[ QUOTE ]
In a sense, her life is not hers to take. As an only child, she killed three people when she killed herself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whose exactly is it to take, if not hers, and how does her mother only having one child instead of 2 or 3 or 7 have any impact on that? Is the right to live my own life as I choose highly or completely dependent on if I have any siblings iyo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's my lapsed Catholicism coming out, but I don't really believe anyone has the right to take their own life. There are difficult cases with the terminally ill, but that's my general thought.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jim,

You seem very emo.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should see my blog!
Old 09-19-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys arguing the girl was being selfish for killing herself, Do you think it was selfish for the boy to break up with her because of all the pain he caused her? Should he have just stayed with her until she got tired of him?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a question of degree. Breaking up is a normal thing; killing yourself isn't. You can find a new partner rather more easily than you can replace your only child.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Eh? Unless you are terminally ill / held hostage by sadistic torturers, why can't ANYONE's life improve in some way?

[/ QUOTE ]
I like that you refute your own statement for me. "Anyone's" life can improve... unless they are in these categories where they can't improve. So, now that you are admitting it's possible to be stuck in a spot where improvement is highly unlikely or impossible, can we agree some people might choose non-life over life for a good reason?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a small number of specific situations where your life can't improve where death may seem the best option. In reality, I can hardly think of a situation. Let's say you're serving a 100-year sentence in the world's most brutal and overcrowded prison. Well, maybe you'll get out some day - governments change, people are given amnesties, wrongful convictions are overturned. Or maybe one of the gang bosses will take a shine to you, and your standard of living will get better (at least while you keep your pretty face).

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed is one person for whom suicide must seem like a worthwhile option, particularly in the first few days after he was captured and before he'd been torture-interrogated. That guy doesn't have much to look forward to. So, in his specific situation, I could see why suicide would seem - and actually be - better than living. Dude ain't got much to look forward to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalid_Shaikh_Mohammed
But, in his case, I'm sure his religious belief will keep him alive.

People survive all manner of torment and misery in desperate parts of the world, and yet they keep going. So I don't have much sympathy for Emo kids who top themselves.

Ultimately, since death is unknown, I can't really see how suicide can ever be preferable to life, however miserable. Just because you could be going to a place even worse.

Albert Camus is with me on that.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can hardly think of a situation...I can't really see how suicide can ever be preferable to life

[/ QUOTE ]
Your lack of imagination is not really evidence for anything other than you trotting out more fallacies [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_ignorance