Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Need OOT expertise, Flad panel TV mounts

OOT:

i know numerous posts have been made about HD TVs themselves, but nothing i recall about HD TV mounts

from what i gather, the mounts themselves cost a chunk of the cost of the TV

The TV I've been planning on getting, and will get soon is this one:

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/d...spx?itemnum=44

However, i have not found a mount that is good in price and does what i want,

basically for a 1200 dollar 42" TV, is it worth paying the ~300 dollars for a mount that lets you extend the arm out and rotate the TV?( i live by myself in a 2 floor condo)

or should just get a plain mount and just let it sit parallel to the wall the whole time and move myself around for the TV?

i'm sure all of you ballers have experience with this, anyone wish they had gotten a rotation mount? or had a rotating mount and found it useless, please enrich me with your advice OOT, also if anyone know of any place with good deals on those mounts, a lead would really be appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

also is it worth it buying this TV for 300 dollars more? that's 1/8 of the size for 1/4 more price, does the 5" really make the difference in TV viewing?

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Old 05-24-2007, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Need OOT expertise, Flad panel TV mounts

I'm pretty sure you could post a holocaust-denial or something and as long as that Allison Stokke picture was at the end of it, I'd end up smiling [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure you could post a holocaust-denial or something and as long as that Allison Stokke picture was at the end of it, I'd end up smiling [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i think i might go to Cali and stalk her for the summer,

what about the TV mount?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:37 AM

The mount is purely aesthetic. I mean being able to "rotate your tv on the mount" is a fancy way of saying you can turn which way your tv faces... which you can do with hands and a tv stand just as easily. If you really want it to look great hanging on the wall then go for it. I have a HDTV and have 2 other friends with fairly sick HDTVs. None of us have the mounts. I mean they look great, but the mounts themselves are very expensive. If you have the $300 to spend on essentially an aesthetic product then I'd go for it, but otherwise no. It's not "worth the $" unless the $ isn't really so much of an issue for you, IMO.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The mount is purely aesthetic. I mean being able to "rotate your tv on the mount" is a fancy way of saying you can turn which way your tv faces... which you can do with hands and a tv stand just as easily. If you really want it to look great hanging on the wall then go for it. I have a HDTV and have 2 other friends with fairly sick HDTVs. None of us have the mounts. I mean they look great, but the mounts themselves are very expensive. If you have the $300 to spend on essentially an aesthetic product then I'd go for it, but otherwise no. It's not "worth the $" unless the $ isn't really so much of an issue for you, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

well what do you put your TV on?
doesn't the mount also save a lot of space?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:44 AM

There are mounts for much, much cheaper than $300. Search amazon.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:47 AM

here's mine

it doesn't come out and turn, just tilts on the horizontal axis
Old 05-24-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well what do you put your TV on?
doesn't the mount also save a lot of space?

[/ QUOTE ]

My tv came with an ordinary base that attaches to the back, so I can set it on a tv stand, which I have it sitting on. I mean it takes up more space I guess, but the tvs aren't that large actually. I have a 32", a friend with a 42" and one with a 56" (all flat panel) and really all it takes up is the space required by the tv stand / end table / whatever you have it sitting on. I mean even a very large flat panel tv is not going to be more than 4 or 5 inches deep. If space is at an absolute premium then it might make a difference, but to put it in perspective my 32" flat panel takes up significantly less overall space than my 22" tube tv did, because the tube tvs are generally at least as deep as they are wide, which is just not the case with the flat panels. Also fwiw I believe almost all flat panels come with a regular mounting thingy. It's basically something that attaches to the back of the tv that spreads into maybe a 6" by 10" square underneath the tv to keep it standing up straight so that you could set it on top of any flat surface.

If the tv needs a separate mounting device purchased (and again I doubt this) and the prices are comparable I guess you could argue for the wall mounting... otherwise it just seems like a waste of $ to me.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
here's mine

it doesn't come out and turn, just tilts on the horizontal axis

[/ QUOTE ]

that looks a lot bigger than 42"

how much did your mount cost?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:50 AM

i don't remember.. $300 maybe

50 inch