Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 03:04 PM

Default Books By Popular Poker Players

The following is a list of 10 well known poker players who have not yet written a poker book. Which of these pros would you most like to see write a book and why?

Chris Ferguson
Greg Raymer
Howard Lederer
Phil Ivey
Michael Mizrachi
John Juanda
Allen Cunningham
Erik Seidel
Men The Master
David Williams
Old 03-06-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Books By Popular Poker Players

Lederer or Ivey, probably.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The following is a list of 10 well known poker players who have not yet written a poker book. Which of these pros would you most like to see write a book and why?

Chris Ferguson
Greg Raymer
Howard Lederer
Phil Ivey
Michael Mizrachi
John Juanda
Allen Cunningham
Erik Seidel
Men The Master
David Williams

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris Ferguson-might be interesting with all the math. But I don't like his post flop game. He plays alot of tourneys, his style is good for raise it-take it poker. However, I do believe that if he wanted to, he can be a winning player at say 50-100nl games. I prefer more a versatile player.

Greg Raymer-Although he is very populat here I don't really like his game that much. He likes to take alot of flyers and likes to risk alot to win a small pot. A different but similar version is Gavin Smith. Gavin will take flyers but he doesn't do the I'm all in power move as much as Raymer. If you watch the 04 series again, a few moves were very skeptical. In the PPT & USPC he makes alot of -EV calls. Raymer is great for bullying alot of chicken players afraid of bubbling. Last years final table with Mark Seif was another terrible showing. He made it to a final table but the way he played was not very impressive.

Howard Lederer-His marketing strategy with Full tilt seem to be ingenious right now. NHUCP was all full tilt, we'll see if all this US marketing is going to be worth it down the road. Full tilt presence in the Europe seem to be pretty weak. Definitely a smart man. Back onto the topic, his DVD's sucked! It looked hurried. Poor setting, ugly wardrobe, not organized, very hand made. Not professional. Oh yeah, take a look at how he picks up the cards in the DVD, they don't even have a proper poker table.

Phil Ivey-If the launches a book, he's not the author. Can't see him wasting all that time to sell a couple hundred thousand copies. Lindgren's book was at best half written by Erick IMO. Ivey doesn't seem to care about devoting time to writing a book. At least Gus carries a recorder and describes his hands via a recorder. Can't see Ivey doing that, simple as talking into a recorder.

Michael Mizrachi-Very intersting, I would buy if he puts one out. He had a sick 06. He's the type that can accumulate chips without hands, constant pressure. Very good tourney player, I'd like to hear a nugget of how he does it.

John Juanda-I'd love to read about JJ's game. He is my favorite player. Unfortunately, I can't see him putting out a first class book like Harrington. It would take alot of his time.

Allen Cunningham-If he does launch a book. It would be very good. I get the feeling that he has too much pride to put out a B class book.

Erik Seidel-Hmm.. Maybe only ABC poker. He wouldn't even show his hole cards at first.

Men The Master-Don't like him. His talk in the Poker Insight DVD was a waste of time.

David Williams-He started a blog and then abandoned it. Starts off strong but dies down. His book will be about aggression, thats a no brainer. There might be some good nuggets but it won't be a HOH.

Finally, if Chip Reese puts out a book, I'm sure it would be gem. He has too much pride to put out a crap book. His ability to not steam and be in control would be invaluable. His book wouldn't teach you how to necessarily make moves but I think he'd give insight on how to become a winner. I would expect too see alot of strategy with "poker life" examples. Ace on the River was a good read but I wanted more strategy talk.

Another book that I would pay big money for is a book from Gabe Thaler. Although, it's pretty obvious he'd never write one but he seems like a "true" player. The times I've seen him play (Commerce, Cash poker & LATB) he makes alot of right decisions. Sometimes, he folds the wining hand but in the long run, I like his plays.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:26 PM

There's only 1 player I'd really like to see a book from, and maybe not for the reason you'd expect. I'd like to read something from Ferguson, because of his academic background. He'd have something I could add to my game w.r.t. game theory. But it wouldn't necessarily be (or shouldn't necessarily be) a complete game strategy, just an aspect of the game.

All the rest of the guys, I probably wouldn't bother because they wouldn't, or couldn't, explain why they're as good as they are and couldn't teach it. It would be some semi-crap like Lindgren's book.

A possible except might be Lederer coming out with a book successful in a Phil Gordon sort of way.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:51 PM

Gigabet, without a doubt. The others aren't right for books except maybe Ferguson, but I would LOVE to get their hand histories.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:39 PM

BUMP

Anybody else wanna chime in?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:03 PM

Mizrachi...He has been tearing up both cash games and tourneys of late. He has stated that his cash game strategy is very different from his tournament strategy. It might be interesting to read some of the differences.

Lederer...I would love to read a book by the professor as he seems to be able to explain things in a very clear and concise manner. In regards to his DVD's - I believe the content was very good (especially in More Secrets and Limit Holdem), but I do agree the presentation was lacking.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:40 PM

According to some interview I read (no I don't recall which one) Greg Raymer said he was writing a book.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
According to some interview I read (no I don't recall which one) Greg Raymer said he was writing a book.

[/ QUOTE ]

The book was supposed to be for 2+2, he abandoned it.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:52 PM

as far as the original question goes:
ivey or lederer for sure
but i doubt either of them will ever write a book

as for those unmentioned:
gus hansen
mike the mouth
chip reese
and a handful of internet pros like Bel0wAb0ve, ActionJeff, BodogAri, etc, etc, etc