Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 05:10 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?
Default Re: Mason\'s Poker Essays 1-3

If an experienced poster tells me something is a must read, I go buy it or borrow it from the library if it is available, no questions asked. I want to learn about poker. The person you are defending doesn't want to learn about poker, he is looking for a magic bullet to use for NL.

It isn't his fault, it is our culture. Want to lose weight?, here is the secret formula. Want to get girls?, super hot chicks are on our dateline just waiting for you to call. Want to get rich?, late night TV will teach you how for $39.95 plus shipping and handling.

Kill Phil tells you, "Just buy our book and we will teach you how to beat, Phil Ivey, Phil Gordon, Phil Helmuth, and other pro's not maned Phil."

Maybe I wasn't PC or particularly friendly in my reply but every thread about a book, somebody asks if this is for NL and even if the title expressly states it is for limit, someone will post asking if it can be used to help their NL game.

Maybe I am turning in to and old poop but they would be much better off learning about poker. NL was basically dead before the poker boom and is very likely to be dead again in the foreseeable future so learn about poker. the more you know about poker in general, the better you will be at all poker games and you won't just be a NL player.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Mason\'s Poker Essays 1-3 *DELETED*

Post deleted by deacsoft
Old 03-05-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Mason\'s Poker Essays 1-3 *DELETED*

Post deleted by deacsoft
Old 03-05-2007, 06:54 PM

Yes, it will help your NL game. No, it's not a book about NL. But more than anything, it's a great book to read a chapter at a time before bed or when you're on the toilet.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it will help your NL game. No, it's not a book about NL. But more than anything, it's a great book to read a chapter at a time before bed or when you're on the toilet.

[/ QUOTE ]

That I have to agree with - it comes in agreeably small doses, and is a great book for the crapper.

My biggest issue with the Mason's stuff is that he's not very persuasive. Something about his writing style seems to make people want him to be wrong, and thus they automatically adopt the opposite position out of spite.

For example, he and Ciaffone both take the same position on the value of a tight image at holdem, but Ciaffone is pretty convincing whereas Mason is just kind of anoying.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:57 PM

All the 2+2 books I've read, except HOH and Ray Zee's Hi-Lo book, read like they have something to prove.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a "limit" book? How much strategy does it contain?
I play NLHE only, is it suitable for me??

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, OK, time for a serious answer.

Poker Essays 1, 2 and 3 are just excellent. The fact that they are somewhat old makes the material better, because you didn't just read them in Cardplayer a couple years ago.

Most of the criticisms in this thread were answered by Mason in his forward written 16 years ago in Poker Essays #1. First off he wants you to THINK about the game, and secondly these are his OPINIONS.

He even has several mentions about the differences between NL and Limit games. One of the Essays books has an entry along the lines of; Where have all of yesterdays hotshot players gone? And my personal favorite about: Playing 15 % is in there somewhere too.

The problem for the punky, badly behaved, over-stimulated young NL guys is that the books mention Stud and Omaha games. The "I only know how to play NL" guys don't know what that is.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the criticisms in this thread were answered by Mason in his forward written 16 years ago in Poker Essays #1. First off he wants you to THINK about the game, and secondly these are his OPINIONS.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were supposed to ignore that forward and read the fine print where it says everything contained within is hereby written in stone and never to be altered or changed as the game itself will never alter or change. Not even by the author himself lest he commit blasphemy upon his own rules.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

b
Old 03-06-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All the 2+2 books I've read, except HOH and Ray Zee's Hi-Lo book, read like they have something to prove.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a coincidence. All of the 2+2 books that I've read actually prove something.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not terribly surprising. Ray and Dan have been successful at the highest levels of poker. They have nothing to prove.

The other 2+2 authors have not been similarly successful. Might explain the "chip-on-sholder" vibe. Although to be fair, I didn't get that from ToP.