Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 11:47 PM

Default Which hands should I expect to be losers?

(x-posted in theory forum)

Aside from utter rags, I think there must be a threshold of reasonable hands that a decent player should be able to turn a profit on.

From 6 max limit ($1/2 to 3/6), the following hands show a negative BB/100 in my PT DB (55K hands, 3.32BB/100). The list shows the number of hands, the BB/hand for the group, and the hands from that group with -BB/hand:

3200 pairs (0.83BB): 66 & 22

2200 Suited connectors (0.22BB): <76s & A2s

6300 Off-suited connectors (0.03BB): <98o & A2o

1700 Suited broadway (0.52BB): none

4800 Unsuited broadway (0.20BB): ATo, KTo

7700 Ax (0.19BB): ATo, A8o, A6o, A2

interstingly, my top 5 losers are all suited rags: 74s, 93s, Q5s, J7s, 84s. I spew 0.18BB/hand on each.

I think more of the above hands should have some value in them. Sample sizes for individual hands are obviously probably too small to draw any solid conclusions, but I think they can give a decent indication as to where my profits currently stop.

Results will be twisted by a few huge pots I've won:/ Eg - turning quad 5s against a wheel, 7-high straight and boat....and lost, such as set over set and boat over boat etc.

ATo and KTo have probably lost kicker battles several times, but I'm sure they still should be +EV hands. The same is true with the Ax hands.

Is there anyone with a really significantly sized DB that could post hands that lose them money that should be profitable? My 55k hands are OK for a general stat check but too small to look at individual hands.

So, which theoretically profitable hands do you spew money on?
Old 09-30-2006, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Which hands should I expect to be losers?

tl;dr, but the answer is the ones you play from the blinds.