Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 10:09 AM

Default AK heads-up: donk flop?

I haven’t really been following my own advice and wasn’t really paying that much attention the table—trying to work and play at the same time. No reliable reads on the button, though the table seems tight and passive generally.

Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 Limit Hold'em (9 players)

Hero is the BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
6 folds, Button raises to $0.50, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.75, Button calls $0.25

Flop (2 players, 6.5 small bets): T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero?

Do you guys donk here? If you do, why? If just called, on what kinds of turn cards, other than those that improve your hand, are you going to follow up with another bluff (if any)?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:14 AM

Default Re: AK heads-up: donk flop?

A bet on the flop is not a donk here. You were the aggressor preflop. So it would be a c-bet.

I think this is a perfect situation for a c-bet. A sensible player open-raises from the button with a lot of hands. He may have hit something, and he may not. A bet might pick up the pot.

If it doesn't, you have a lot of outs to improve: overs, a gutshot and a BDFD.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:16 AM

Rgr--could you define a donk, then?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:16 AM

Bet.

You have a great chance at being ahead, he might fold, he expects you to bet, etc...

I would also bet again on the turn.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rgr--could you define a donk, then?

[/ QUOTE ]
A donk bet commonly refers to a bet on any given street before the last aggressor of the previous street has acted. I think the term comes from the fact that weak players (aka donkeys) often do this, oblivious of the previous action and with no idea about what may happen behind them. That doesn't mean that a donk is always bad.

Donk bets most often happen on the flop, since here the hand value changes the most usually.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:22 AM

Thx. I did bet here. In this case, Villain called and the turn was a total brick--the 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]--I bet it again. g00t or foolish?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thx. I did bet here. In this case, Villain called and the turn was a total brick--the 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]--I bet it again. g00t or foolish?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this depends on a read. Would he call the flop with air? Would he call the flop with a pp, 2nd or 3rd pair? Would he release this on the turn? I usually bet again here, but I think I do this too often.

After all, cold_cash votes to bet again, so it can't be too wrong.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:54 AM

You have outs to improve on a coordinated board that has most likely been hit by a pre-flop raisor, unless he is holding your hand and you have position. I think you can take a free card here and re-evaluate on the river.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have outs to improve on a coordinated board that has most likely been hit by a pre-flop raisor, unless he is holding your hand and you have position. I think you can take a free card here and re-evaluate on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since we're the BB and villain is the Button taking a free card is hard [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2006, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since we're the BB and villain is the Button taking a free card is hard [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. Lead the turn, b/f the river ui if it is still only a 2 flush board.