Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Kinda OT: Should i take a semester off school?

is this a general school drop-out statement or specific to a poker drop-out?

My life experience is a whole lot different than this cut and dried answer
Old 09-26-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you take time off school, you won't go back.

Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] sigh, this is what bothers me, i want to graduate and i want to do something besides poker eventually, but right now im really not enjoying waking up at 8am and doing stupid homework.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is this a general school drop-out statement or specific to a poker drop-out?

My life experience is a whole lot different than this cut and dried answer

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker dropout when you're as young as he is.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you take time off school, you won't go back.

Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] sigh, this is what bothers me, i want to graduate and i want to do something besides poker eventually, but right now im really not enjoying waking up at 8am and doing stupid homework.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you really aren't getting anything out of it, anyway.

My advice would be to take some time off and maybe you won't even come back and finish it until you've become exhausted with poker, but once you do you'll be more focused and ready to apply yourself to whatever it is you want to do with your life at that point. As it stands, you clearly want to play poker, not go to school, so anything you do in school is just going to be half-assed, plus you won't spend as much time or effort on poker, so it's a double negative.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:44 AM

I'm glad poker didn't really exist way back when I was in school, so I was never faced with this decision.

I'm guessing you're not 21 yet. So what's the advantage to taking off now? You can play more on the Net and play a few EPT events? That doesn't seem worth it. If you turn 21 during this school year, finish the year, go to the WSOP in the summer and play as many events as possible, then make a decision.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:48 AM

4th semester of how many??
how about just taking a lighter course load?

I find it hard to believe that you couldn't handle a couple of state school biz classes while still playing about as much as you want and to the best of yuour abilities.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well recently i have become increasingly un-motivated to go to class and doing school

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't be doing anything you don't want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is dumb, sometimes you don't want to do [censored] but you man up cause you know it's for the best -- I was miserable in high school and didn't want to do it (like about 90% of the population?) but it didn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out it's in my long term best interest so I powered through the last couple of years of that stupid place.

I'm not saying school is for everyone, or dropping out isn't perfectly reasonable and a better option than finishing for many. Also, I'm not saying Charder (it's pronounced Chowder! I'll kill you! I'll kill all of you!!) should stay or school or shouldn't; but if you live your life making your choices based on the "You shouldn't be doing anything you don't want to" mantra, you'll very likely wake up in the not to distance future and realize you've painted you into a corner where you don't have any choices anymore.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4th semester of how many??
how about just taking a lighter course load?

I find it hard to believe that you couldn't handle a couple of state school biz classes while still playing about as much as you want and to the best of yuour abilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I'm sure this is true (biz classes are easy, ldo), if it causes too much stress, anxiety, depression, etc. then is it really worth it?

I didn't need to go to class or try, in fact I hardly did either and as you suggested took a pretty minimal, but school still just put me in a [censored] mood all the time. I feel better about myself now than I ever did while in school, and I honestly wish I had just taken some time off while I was in school and I'd probably be a lot further along than I am now (both in life and in poker).
Old 09-26-2007, 09:13 AM

Gobbo,

You're definitely wrong and that's a pretty ridiculous blanket statement to make. Just because you didn't/don't want to doesnt mean anything w/r/t what others will do.

I'm currently taking time off from school and am 99% certain I'll be returning to either complete my jd or get a PhD. Its tough to give advice to others, but I would base your decision on your happiness at college rather than your perceived opportunity cost. You won't play that much more if you withdraw.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:22 AM

What makes you think anyone enjoys getting up at 8am and doing homework? School seems to suck while you're there but you're just not taking full advantage. If you have morning issues, schedule your classes differently. If you want to play more poker, lighten your load next semester. Being a winning player you kinda have the world by the balls right now. You get to be in college while still having money! Getting my engineering degree was a pain in the ass, but was definitely worth it. Don't leave school.