Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 06:51 AM

Default Re: [5/10] Three hands from my comeback session

[ QUOTE ]
2) I'm not sure about the turn, but as played I'd value bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd rather check behind the turn and call most rivers? Hmm I don't know, I think he calls the flop pretty light after me restealing in the BB and getting 7-1 on the flop. Also there are a lot of scary cards on the river where we would have to call a bet anyway after checking behind on the turn. The river jack is actually one of the "few" cards that couldn't have helped him (unless he holds Jx of diamonds).

Admittedly though, I allow him to checkraise when betting the turn which this guy could very well do and that would probably be a fold for us but it wouldn't feel super-good.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in hand 3, check PF unless villain is a donk who folds too many flops. you have >50% equity and position, but reverse implied odds. in my games (which look softer), i would raise K7o+ here. oh yeah it's the same villain from before: chances are he has probably read stox's book so definitely read up on blind vs blind play (pg 90 or so). you are only getting 5 to 1 when he c/r-s the turn and if you believe you are behind, you are not getting good enough odds to continue.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, if chances are that he read Stox' book, then I would definitely expect him to raise preflop and not completing as he did.

Regarding the "5-1 odds on the turn" as you mention, I of course did not call the turn drawing, that's just part of it (it would of course be nice if I improved). Rather, I called because I felt there was a good chance of him semibluffing since my play up to that point could have been made with a wide range of hands and he can probably expect me to fold many of those hands in my range.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd rather check behind the turn and call most rivers? Hmm I don't know, I think he calls the flop pretty light after me restealing in the BB and getting 7-1 on the flop. Also there are a lot of scary cards on the river where we would have to call a bet anyway after checking behind on the turn. The river jack is actually one of the "few" cards that couldn't have helped him (unless he holds Jx of diamonds).

Admittedly though, I allow him to checkraise when betting the turn which this guy could very well do and that would probably be a fold for us but it wouldn't feel super-good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what's best on the turn, but we can't fold if raised with our 6 outs, and once we make it to the river I'm gonna feel obliged to throw a bet in getting like 9 to 1.

Without much of a read it's tough to figure out if they're the type to wait with Kx or if they'll just check/raise the flop. I'd expect him to check/raise any pair or draw on the flop really, but I sort of expect him to wait more with Kx. He's also peeling the flop with ace high and worse pocket pairs and possibly undercards, but does he have these and calldown both streets often enough to risk having to put in 3 bets when behind? If you're gonna check the river I think I like checking behind the turn. If you can valuebet both streets and expect to get called reasonably often by stuff like ace high, I like betting the turn.

With the limited read I'd play it like you did.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what's best on the turn, but we can't fold if raised with our 6 outs, and once we make it to the river I'm gonna feel obliged to throw a bet in getting like 9 to 1.

Without much of a read it's tough to figure out if they're the type to wait with Kx or if they'll just check/raise the flop. I'd expect him to check/raise any pair or draw on the flop really, but I sort of expect him to wait more with Kx. He's also peeling the flop with ace high and worse pocket pairs and possibly undercards, but does he have these and calldown both streets often enough to risk having to put in 3 bets when behind? If you're gonna check the river I think I like checking behind the turn. If you can valuebet both streets and expect to get called reasonably often by stuff like ace high, I like betting the turn.

With the limited read I'd play it like you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice hand. Thanks for the input!

BTW, I missed that I had a gutshot on the turn [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2007, 04:08 PM

Hands 1 and 2 I like.

Hand 3, pf is marginal. K3s, I absolutely raise here. Close either way. As played, I think vs. trixsy tag, I tend to check behind the turn, as he's going to C/R this turn REALLY often, and with such a wide range of hands that I almost have to call down, and paying 3bb to see showdown here is probably spewy. The pot's not big enough that giving a free card is too devastating if he draws out on me, plus he'll bluff the river a ton when he misses anyway.

edit: I should add, we'd be strongly inclined to check behind the turn with a hand like A5, and there isn't a substantial difference between that and BPGK here.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:29 PM

Really? If a guy keeps limping in the SB I'm raising a lot. It doesn't seem that marginal to me, but I'm having a day where all of my advice seems to be going opposite the majority.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:38 PM

depends on the SB imo
if he likes to lead a lot of flops in limper pots we should raise preflop to take the initiative. our hand is going to miss a lot of the time and it is hard to take K-rag to showdown
Old 07-25-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really? If a guy keeps limping in the SB I'm raising a lot. It doesn't seem that marginal to me, but I'm having a day where all of my advice seems to be going opposite the majority.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd much rather have T9o here than k3o. I don't think it's bad, just marginal, and I certainly raise here against a habitual SB limper (I agree with you about raising really wide). This is one of the spots where playing tons of tables probably forces me to pass up on a few +EV opportunities, also.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:14 PM

Hand#1 looks fine

I like the river bet in hand 2. This is a spot where the sb should, and will go to showdown a lot.

Hand #3, I guess folding the turn is out of the question, right? PF is usually a check for me unless I have a read that sb is passive postflop.