Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2006, 04:43 PM

Default river play?

Opponent is 37/18/2.65

Pre-Flop is dubious, I know, say fold pre-flop if you must, what's your river line here?

in my mind it's close between bet/fold and check/call, i want to show the hand down, but i think i can get a call from worse hands (AQ, AJ, AT, 77, 88). There's the minimum chance he raises the river with a hand that i beat i think. If i check i don't know what he'd bet that he wouldn't raise because it should look like i had a flush draw. AK seems like the only hand he might bet but didn't raise, but why wouldn't he fire again on the turn with AK?
anyway, those are my thoughts, what do you guys think?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

River: (3.16 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero...</font>
Old 09-30-2006, 04:47 PM

Default Re: river play?

I would have bet the turn.

I would have a hard time bet-folding the river, as well as bet-calling. I think a check-call might be in order, as it will save you a bet when you're behind, and maybe induce a bluff from the villain. I don't see this guy calling the river if he can't beat you, or folding a better hand for a bet.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:36 PM

What about check/raising the flop?

As played, check/call the river.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:48 PM

my default play in a spot like this (heads up defending blind), is to c/c, c/r with top pair, i should probably change it up more and play a little more straightforward to protect a pair this low.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:30 PM

Usually, I fold pf.

If I didn't, I would c/r the flop and then b/f the turn.

If I didn't do that, and had c/c the flop, I would donk the turn.

As played, you are in a weird spot. I think your value bet is really thin, and you will get raised often. Calling the will also be doubtful. Weird weird spot.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:54 PM

The river is close between bet/fold and check/fold given that villain seems reasonable (if loose). There aren't really any hands in his bluffing range since AQ/AJ likely check behind here to beat a busted draw and can't expect a pair to fold if they bet after the action to here. Maybe QJs shoots one at you, but not enough of his range to warrant a call.

Personally I think bet/folding is the better course of action, though it depends on how likely you think villain is to look you up with those same unimproved aces, and whether that gets you more of the pot than check/folding. This guy seems mistrustful from his stats, so go ahead and bet.

Plenty of other posters have mentioned your poor flop and turn play, and I think those are the salient points in this hand. I disagree with the call preflop, but if you are going to do it you have to get your chips back when you hit a flop like this. What else were you hoping for except top pair on a ragged board?
Old 10-01-2006, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have bet the turn.

I would have a hard time bet-folding the river, as well as bet-calling. I think a check-call might be in order, as it will save you a bet when you're behind, and maybe induce a bluff from the villain. I don't see this guy calling the river if he can't beat you, or folding a better hand for a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonsense - free turn card + river bluff is pretty rare. Checkraise the flop, bet the river get called by ace high all day every day ship it.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:10 AM

--blind--

preflop is an autocall for me vs all but the tightest of raisers. Pairing up is likely to hold up and make you some $$.

I like checkraising the flop. (a bird in the hand...) villain will bet any two he raised pf with, and will call the checkraise every time as well. Get your money in now while he still has air.

as played I check/call the river since you induced a bluff by checking twice.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:41 AM

Pre-flop: I don't really care. Some people are comfortable calling with these hands, while others aren't.

Flop: If you are going to play this hand in the BB, please do something here. Betting out is fine. C/Ring is also fine, especially against players who c-bet anything. You want villain to either release his overcards on the turn (always his most likely holding) or make a bad call.

Turn: As played, bet-fold is best unless villain almost always fires again on the turn, in which case check-raise is also good.

River: This is a bad card... he took a freebie on the turn, which could very well mean he had overcards with poor showdown value (unfortunately, this often means KT-KQ) or a flush draw. I really doubt a player with such aggro stats would freeze up on the turn with 77-88 when he should understand that you're usually just peeling. Additionally, he would often bet his ace (this is where a read becomes very useful). I think we can safely rule out 77-88, and discount the possibility that he holds Ax. Therefore, bet-fold seems like a poor choice. We're hoping to get a call from a discounted and unimproved Ax... yuck. Check-call also seems bad. Sure, he may take a shot at you with something like QJ/QT/JT (not spades). On the other hand, most players will happily check behind with Ax. Check-fold seems to be best with the pot so small, though that's hard as hell to figure out at the table. Hope for check-check and move on.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:05 AM

I think check-raising the flop here is ultra standard to most players who post in this forum. The one downside to this play is that better hands will wait for the turn and pop you there, which always sucks. But regardless, I c/r this flop 100% of the time.