Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2006, 01:50 PM

Default why was this law passed?

I understand that there are probably a number of reasons.

I always thought the US just wanted a cut of the profits for online gambling in addition to pleasing the Christian and other lobbies that want to ban online gambling for moral reasons.

My question is what did Frist and the others responsible for online gambling language being attached to the bill gain? Has the language of the bill opened up doors for the US to somehow profit on this by allowing it to keep happening? It is difficult for me to beleive that this was attached for moral reasons + reaching "moral" voters alone.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:04 PM

Default Re: why was this law passed?

as I see it Frist did this to score brownie points so he can get some nice fat campaign donations (and maybe a bunch of extra votes) when he runs for pres in 2008.

The older (and wiser ??) I get the more convinced I become that no politician in the history of the world has EVER done anything for "moral" reasons alone - there always is some ulterior motive and it usually involves a significant amount of money. Tho perhaps I am a little too cynical.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:08 PM

The thing is that it is no that big of an issue. I come from Southern Baptist family that votes Republican (many from TN). I have talked to them about it and they really had no opinion one way or the other on it. They also do not know of my poker playing so that did not influence them.

They are much more concerned about other issues.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:11 PM

obviously you're not educated in the system of our nation. Internet gambling is a DIRECT threat to port security. Just the other day they caught a guy with an illegal gun hiding inside a shipping container. And what exactly was he doing hiding in shipping container you might ask. He was immersed in a $10 Rebuy tournament on partypoker through his palm pilot.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:20 PM

Isnt it also supposed to prevent terrorists from washing and transfering money?

Maybe if the american senators played some poker they would increase their logical thinking somewhat. Im european and surprised to see USA becoming like this. Probably the last place one would think should restrict personal freedom, liberty and individualism.

I saw somewhere that 5000 americans die every year from food poisoning. Compare that to the number dead from terrorism and one get perspective. Still when we turn on Fox or CNN we dont see programs about "the war on food poisoning" and alike.

So clean some restaurants instead of banning this and that and it would actually save more lives without altering the way people live their lives. Cant belive this crap.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:27 PM

My parents and their friends are all very conservative also (very pro George W., Rush Limbaugh, etc) and they don't know anyone who has issues with gambling on the internet and they think this is a non-issue.

i think many conservatives and southern baptists even feel that way.

But by taking charge here and leading the way for this Frist can still score points with the Christian leaders...even if many of their very own Christians don't think this is a very big deal.
It's Frist actually getting to say that he did something to 'save the children and addicts' and try to make himself look good by combating such an evil situation.

In short, he'll get some funds, and he'll get to say he did something positive.
And he probably really does think it really is a bad thing.
They see these 'rogue' type sites from 3rd world countries and they make a distinction in their mind that that alone makes it way worse than the horse-racing or lottery stuff somehow.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:28 PM

sounds like something that would happen in China rather than the US, being land of the free and all that. I'm sure it has nothing to do with morals, but money, and thats the reason why it will be probably be sorted out in the end, whenevr that may be.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:41 PM

Let me start by saying that I'm an avid poker player online and I hate Bill Frist. I believe in a small government that shouldn't be telling me how to spend my money.

THat said, I understand the reasoning behind the ban. Poker does not contribute positively to society. While it may be a game of skill, it is still a dangerous way that could potentially lose a great deal of money immediately. Comparing it to something like horseracing isn't fair, as horse races are not something you could blow your fortune on every day with the click of a mouse... for one thing, horse races aren't held every day.
It's also unfair to compare gambling to investing in the stock market. Investing in the stock market helps our economy by providing capital for companies that provide us goods and services. Any similar connection with poker would be tenuous at best. Even skill-less forms of gambling such as the lottery benefit local school systems.

Again, I don't think it's any of the government's business how we spend out money, but pretending that poker is a positive aspect of society is a stretch. Professional poker players aren't really contributing much of anything to society.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:44 PM

underage online gambling, households ruined by degenerate gamblers who have wifes and kids and they suffer, usa government not taxing this and not able to create employment within us boundaries from online gambling. There's a few for you.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:45 PM

understand what reasoning? I thought it was because of all the untaxed cash moving out of the US to the poker companies.