Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Mountaineer Trip Report- WV

I'm taking my old man down on Friday for his birthday.

There isn't a NL game higher than 5/10? How is the 5/10 game? Is there an interest list for 10/20?

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The players are really bad still but the room imho gets worse. Just as the dealers are starting to get a little better they have new rules set up by the "lottery commission".

Now every down, the Floor has to come over and count the racks and write things down. Floor still has to verify chips when someone is giving change and once my table got shorthanded we were informed no rake-break cause the "Lottery Commission" won't let them.

I feel like a little kid being told to not be naughty cause the devil will get'cha. They're turning the lottery commission into this figurehead of evil for all the problems with the room.

The lottery commission isn't the one who slowly answers floor calls. The lottery commission isn't the one who's not allowing players to buy the button, and the lottery commission aren't the ones who won't allow live straddles.

I got called to a game last night when a new game started and 12 people showed up to sit down. Of those 12 1/2 of them were never on the list to begin with. What happens? First Come First serve sat down and played. The floor still will not use the electronic board to go over peoples names, scratch off the top 10 and move the game along.

Names aren't properly being removed from the board as well.

Way to blow a lot of money on a awesome system that no one apparently knows how to implement!

I've decided for myself that I'm sick of playing 15 hands an hour and driving solo to do it. Though my win-rate there is currently much higher then playing online the stress of watching ineptness destroy an otherwise beautiful poker room isn't worth it.

If I'm there it's cause I'm with friends and didn't drive solo, or my old man wanted to go up and bet the ponies.

Else I'll give it till thanksgiving and wait to see what improves.

(With that said all my friends are degenerates too so I'll probably be up twice a week with them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But it's under protest)

[/ QUOTE ]

witzo...you play in any homegames in warren? also, i might be willing to carpool down to mountaineer, depending on the day/time..i'm right up route 11 in girard, and lived in warren my whole life up until 3 years ago...
Old 10-28-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

witzo...you play in any homegames in warren? also, i might be willing to carpool down to mountaineer, depending on the day/time..i'm right up route 11 in girard, and lived in warren my whole life up until 3 years ago...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not really big on underground games etc. I'm real paranoid about not wanting to get raided/robbed ever since the crap that went down in Columbus a couple years ago. One of such instances when a kid I knew, Max McGuffin decided to commit armed robbery at a poker game.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:41 AM

I will be making the trip out there on Monday. I will have a Cleveland Indians hat on with the I emblem on the front and most likely a blue stripped collard shirt. Shoot me a sup bro/brown trout if you see me.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm taking my old man down on Friday for his birthday.

There isn't a NL game higher than 5/10? How is the 5/10 game? Is there an interest list for 10/20?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

They got off a 10/20NL game - 7k max buy-in - last night. Haven't heard a report yet on how it went.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:56 PM

I went to wheeling late on friday night. left pittsburgh at 2:30 am and got down there around 3:30. when i arrived i was pleasently surprised how big the room was. I immediately got on to the 2-5 NL list. I was told i was to play on table 3 seat 10 but when i got to my table, the seat was filled so i had to sit and wait for one to open ( about a half hour) there were only two 2-5 tables going at that hour and also a 5-10 game. I bought in for 400 and by about an hour into the session I had made a little over 500. The game was extremely tight/ easy. I play pretty aggressive and loose but really didnt run into any problems. I cashed out at 7 am with 1040. It was a solid 4 hours.

I am planning on going back down sometime this week. Maybe ill see some of you guys down there. I joined this forum today, figuring I should spread the word of how weak the game was....
Old 10-28-2007, 09:07 PM

Went out after work on saturday.Got there at about 4am and there was still a lot of people playing. Dealers were working overtime due to the unexpected crowd. I played 1/2 NL, very soft game, alot of limping/calling PF not many reraises at all.
Broke even after 4 hours of play. Witzo is right about the dealers, actually thought the floor people were just as bad. One guy at our table asked one of the floor people if he could get our cocktail waitress, that was nowhere to be found(they only had 1 girl for the whole room) , and he told him that he had better things to do than go looking for cocktail waitresses. I believe this was reported to upper mgmnt., cuz the dude at the table was pissed.
The hands/hour rate is horrendous, but is made up for by the weak player base. I don't see how everyone made it though dealer school. Maybe they never had tests. It's funny to see how akward the staff looks. I would say that about 80% or better look uncomfortable or lost. They should of hired a consulting company or at least went to vegas to some of the well ran rooms and tried to develope a system from that. How about the 20" flat panel TV's that are lined around the perimeter of the room about 50'away LOL? This is hilarious, you can barely even see whats on the screen. Hopefully in a couple of months they can get this thing moving, definitley a lot of potential here.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:56 PM

Are they running any SNGs or MTTS?

PS: Thanks for all the reports. I hope to get there next weekend.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are they running any SNGs or MTTS?

PS: Thanks for all the reports. I hope to get there next weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, "but it's in the works". Truth be told the dealers couldn't handle a tourny right now, signing down cards, dealing with raising blinds and antes or hand shuffling.

Of a more interesting note... I found out tonight that the official Poker Room comp is 40 points an hour at 1/2 NL to 60 points an hour max if your playing a bigger game like 5/10 NL.

Sounds like a lot of points right?

it takes 400 points to earn a $1 in comps. That's right folks, the poker comp is 10cents -15cents an hour.

To confirm this I went to the snackbar and I had a whole $2.50 saved up after playing for 40+ hours in the room.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:28 AM

Is there an exact address for Mountaineer that i can put in mapquest. the website is totally unhelpful. anyone have suggestions on the best route from Pittsburgh?

also in the 1/2 game, what is the average buy in of players?