Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Re: \"The Ofdabeat hates backpackers special\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The people taking this thread seriously really crack me up.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dirty balls
Old 11-01-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still find it hilarious that people are taking this thread seriously. Making fun of backpackers is the same level of offensive as saying "the Yankees suck." You guys are acting like the thread is titled "black people are inferior." This is no different than making fun of emo kids. I don't really care if someone wants to be emo, but I'm still going to laugh at them.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has clearly turned into more than this, at the fault of both parties. Many posts directed at backpackers were not written in an even slightly playful manner, just as many posts in response were similarly hateful.

I backpacked through Thailand for two months this summer and will be posting a trip report soon. I did not spend any time on Khao Sahn (I hated it) nor did I have dreads. I attended the Full Moon Party. I trekked in Chiang Mai. I made friends. Westerners and Thais. I ate countless pancakes and drank dozens of 20 baht banana shakes. I went to MBK and bought a fake Lacoste polo. I hung out with 4 bargirls from Soi Cowboy. I spent little money. I helped a Thai student with the pronunciation of the months. I trained Muay Thai for a week. I still talk to two Burmese girls I met at a restaurant. I'm sorry if the time I spent in Thailand was not up to anyone's standards about what travel should be. I had a great time. Sue me.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the problem. You (meaning ofdabeat and others) can't get into an extended argument ridiculing backpackers and bickering back and forth, then say "lol it's not even a big deal you're taking this too seriously." You were a large part of the escalation. If you want to back out now then apologize. Laughing off the people that you clearly offended and who definitely are justified in being offended is not cool.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the problem. You (meaning ofdabeat and others) can't get into an extended argument ridiculing backpackers and bickering back and forth, then say "lol it's not even a big deal you're taking this too seriously." You were a large part of the escalation. If you want to back out now then apologize. Laughing off the people that you clearly offended and who definitely are justified in being offended is not cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Between "making fun of backpackers" and "personal attacks and insults to ofdabeat" there is a big difference. I'd never apologize to somebody calling me a nazi.

See you are a backpacker but nobody attacked you. Even if I'm pretty sure I'd not like you at all in real life.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Between "making fun of backpackers" and "personal attacks and insults to ofdabeat" there is a big difference. I'd never apologize to somebody calling me a nazi.

See you are a backpacker but nobody attacked you. Even if I'm pretty sure I'd not like you at all in real life.

[/ QUOTE ]

And herein lies why you are so blind and ignorant... between "personal attacks and insults to ofdabeat" and "personal attacks and insults from ofdabeat to backpackers and other posters" there is no difference.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well to be fair I'm very possibly going to be doing graduate work in Thailand which would require me learning Thai which I can't wait to start. I don't consider myself a backpacker in the vein that you described, but at the same time I certainly have no problem with that lifestyle, which I why I posted.

I regret that a few posts on an internet forum would lead you to believe that you wouldn't like me at all in real life. Also, the possibility that you find yourself blameless in all this worries me.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:22 PM

i dont want to get involved in this donkfest but i dont think the OP meant 'anyone who travels with a backpack' when he said 'backpacker'. this should have been really obvious.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont want to get involved in this donkfest but i dont think the OP meant 'anyone who travels with a backpack' when he said 'backpacker'. this should have been really obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

by posting and calling this a "donk fest" you got involved by default... donk
Old 11-02-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
wow in the end the things you own end up owning you dude
Old 11-03-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
wow in the end the things you own end up owning you dude

[/ QUOTE ]

nice fight club reference...