Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2006, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Did I blow this??? 5-10 live, Wynn

[ QUOTE ]
What happened was, during the next hand he said "I want my cards back. I changed my mind. I call. You didn't have it". He was really regretting laying it down.

I said, "Nah, I had top set. Good fold..."

At this point, his demeanor totally changed. He became really happy...

Also, people I had been at the table with the whole time had thought he made a terrible fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you REALLY blew it.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What happened was, during the next hand he said "I want my cards back. I changed my mind. I call. You didn't have it". He was really regretting laying it down.

Also, people I had been at the table with the whole time had thought he made a terrible fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

let the man continue to second guess himself for god's sake
Old 09-01-2006, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a) Where he really blew it is by telling his opponent not to show cards while there's still action: stop educating these morons and let them do absolutely inane [censored] like exposing their cards then pushing all day
b) KKF: the "no showing hands" rule is primarily a tournament rule: never been anywhere where that was the cash game rule also.
c) Everyone saying not to lead this flop: you guys are being ridiculously results-oriented.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Did I blow this? NO, it was fine.

i disagree with most of the responses. i think you played it correctly. although there are other correct ways to play it too. especially if you know this opponent well.

if you check and he bets and you check raise he will fold. therefore, you would have to check, he bets, you think for a while and flat call. now the turn comes, you check, this type of opponent usually checks behind you. on the river you make a reasonable bet that he can call, he probably does and you make a little $. however, i don't think this maximizes the value of your hand. with a big hand you NEED to try to win a BIG POT. the opportunity is too valuable not to try to make it a big pot. i also lead and hope he thinks i have kk or qq, or whatever, and reraises. i think big hands are not the type of hands you want to win a little with. and i think overtime you make a lot more money by trying to build the pot.

it didn't work here, but that is how you make big money at nl. sometimes you flop a set and don't make a lot, but by trying to get as much $ in as possible you make more money over time. i usually make the play you made. again, vs this opponent you are not making much if you check raise or even check call.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:09 PM

i was playing at ceasers 5/10 game earlier this summer and had a similar occurence. youngish kid next to me on the turn bets something like 1/3 of his stack and while his opponent is thinking the kid turns over KK (overpair) and starts talking about how stu ungar did [censored] like this. the guy thinks for a while longer and folds. everybody is like wtf, why did you show your hand, what would you do if he raised and the kid said he'd call. he said he's done it before and called an allin ftw. i didn't get it.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was playing at ceasers 5/10 game earlier this summer and had a similar occurence. youngish kid next to me on the turn bets something like 1/3 of his stack and while his opponent is thinking the kid turns over KK (overpair) and starts talking about how stu ungar did [censored] like this. the guy thinks for a while longer and folds. everybody is like wtf, why did you show your hand, what would you do if he raised and the kid said he'd call. he said he's done it before and called an allin ftw. i didn't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opening your hand to get a read/reaction is a part of the game, but frankly it takes a VERY good reader to make anything valuable from it. Micro expressions are your friend and so is google...

An example where I used it... I post in MP after coming back from a break, a couple of limpers to me and look down to QQ and open, smart/tricky LAG calls from the button, we go HU to the flop which is ugly, I lead for pot, and he RR AI. I know there is a fair chance he is FOS making a move or some kind of combo draw. I open my hand, catch his expression, and call, he flashes and mucks his pair+NFD.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:42 PM

you opened your hand when you were closing the action. opening your hand when you do not close the action is completely different.

i could see if you were going to call an allin no matter what, and some retardo aggro kid who loves to play games is thinking about folding, and you expose your hand to induce a bluff, but that is a very strict circumstance.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:49 PM

lead is fine, he will push a lot. but why not bet a little smaller to make it less scary and make it easier for him to put you on top pair and push or whatever?
Old 09-01-2006, 03:41 PM

PO,

BTW, as others have said, I think your lead here is just fine, especially when you squarely put him on an overpair.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KKF: the "no showing hands" rule is primarily a tournament rule: never been anywhere where that was the cash game rule also.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is against the rules at the Bellagio. Although they give you a warning the first time.