Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Why I Am Not An Atheist, by Bertrand Trout

[ QUOTE ]
You called me a dumb-ass at least twice, completely unprovoked.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. I apologize, man. Seriously. I'm sure you're actually a very nice dumb-ass. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Oh, and for future reference, whenever I get stupid at night on the forums, remind me of my undertitle -- it's there for a reason.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've found considering yourself an Atheist is such a hard headed, closed mindset that it breeds cynicism in other parts of your life. If one is so sure that the universe has no specific intelligent source then why waste your time arguing for the lack of it's existence, it shouldn't matter to you either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why shouldn't it matter to us either way?
You are even giving us a great reason to do so: because people like you are judging us based on our beliefs (or lack thereof).

Guess what, we don't need to create ourselves an imaginary superhuman to enjoy life and care about it.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, I no longer consider myself an "atheist." Beings that we small-minded humans might consider "gods" could very well exist. Allowing for this changes nothing, though. I see no need to worship them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? So you are an atheist who wants to use a different word for it? Do you feel guilty or dirty calling yourself an atheist so you want to pick a term that your family and friends will find less objectionable?
Old 10-01-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You called me a dumb-ass at least twice, completely unprovoked.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. I apologize, man. Seriously. I'm sure you're actually a very nice dumb-ass. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Oh, and for future reference, whenever I get stupid at night on the forums, remind me of my undertitle -- it's there for a reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vampire?
Old 10-01-2007, 04:52 PM

No, I don't feel guilty or anything like that. I just think my position differs from hardcore atheism. I had an argument with a hardcore atheist about this yesterday. He claimed that I was now a deist. I said, well, if that's what you consider a deist to be, then that's what I guess you can call me.

It simply doesn't matter to me if there is or isn't a real thing that we call god. I think building social institutions to devote to such things is ridiculous. Worship planet smashing asteroids or cupcakes instead for all I care. I rather like cupcakes.

As for whether "god" is a knowledge statement, I guess it depends on what is meant by that. I was making qualitative statements.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I don't feel guilty or anything like that. I just think my position differs from hardcore atheism. I had an argument with a hardcore atheist about this yesterday. He claimed that I was now a deist. I said, well, if that's what you consider a deist to be, then that's what I guess you can call me.

It simply doesn't matter to me if there is or isn't a real thing that we call god. I think building social institutions to devote to such things is ridiculous. Worship planet smashing asteroids or cupcakes instead for all I care. I rather like cupcakes.

As for whether "god" is a knowledge statement, I guess it depends on what is meant by that. I was making qualitative statements.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your friend is wrong.

Your position differs from "strong atheism" I guess but splitting these hairs is silly and a waste of time.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is a god?
Old 10-01-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Vampire?

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, so close -- drunken agnostic deist with Christian tendencies.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I now allow for the existence of beings that we may call "gods," but I still see no reason to worship them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an atheistic position.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's an agnostic position.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I now allow for the existence of beings that we may call "gods," but I still see no reason to worship them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an atheistic position.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's an agnostic position.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its both.

FTW.