Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 05:49 PM

Default WTF do i do vs. super nits? NL Cash

Hey,

I'm coming off of a few really bad days, and I'm thinking about a problem I'm having in playing against super nitty people preflop.

The problem being, that I play very LAG, and when I'm faced with someone who's just playing so tight, I find myself pressing and putting myself in situations where his hand strength is just so much greater than mine that it's hard for me to overcome and I end up making bad calls and putting myself in worse situations.

So while I obviously know that I have to stop pressing once I get down, but what's the optimal strategy in general when you're playing against a real nit preflop?

Is it to open up even more, or to tighten up?

thanks

jeff
Old 10-07-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Re: WTF do i do vs. super nits? NL Cash

hmm, i have the same problem jeff, do you have a sn for aim? i play hsnl on ftp too, played u before [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i think the trick is to calm down too and play tag instead of lag. The main problem is that laggy players like us are looking to stack a person (or get good action) quickly and often. With a super-nit, he is happy and willing to spend hours and hours trying to win your money. Sooo, just go find someone else if u r able to.

The actual strategy i'm trying to work on too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2007, 06:44 PM

i'd tighten up a little bit, but not too much. you still want to be looser than the nit so you can pick up more than your share of the small/medium pots. I'm sure that's super obvious though; i'm not sure what to tell you for specific in-hand stragies.

if that's really tough for you to sustain, i'd honestly just sit out. nits are tough to win money from in general, so if they tilt you (in a sense) on top of it, maybe you should just not play them.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:54 PM

Against super-nits you need to grind them down.

You really have to define "nit" in this context, but Im going to assume you are talking about someone who folds a lot OOP preflop and quite a bit IP OTB.

The solution is pretty easy, you open with ATC OTB. You cbet nearly every flop and you double barrel every single scare card. The less likely your opponent is to raise on the flop, the more likely you should be cbetting.

If your opponent doesnt like calling 3bets, then open your 3bet range to basically any playable hand you would call with OOP.

I think its a huge mistake to tighten up against nits but you cannot expect to stack them save for cooler situations.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:05 PM

I would also suggest lowering the percentage of the pot you cbet for if it appears that they are folding to it regardless. I find that a lot of these players will fold their marginal hands to a 1/2 PSB cbet.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:33 PM

Open up more preflop and tighten up more postflop .
Old 10-07-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Open up more preflop and tighten up more postflop .

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Raise 100% in position, fold more out of position, fold more to reraises, play very cautiously postflop.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:18 AM

werent you running really hot this month? Why even bother playing super nits, not really worth your time. But i adjust exactly what LJ said just grind them down, even nits get impatient when you are winning every pot.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:21 AM

What LJ and SCW said, I was going to say, nothing to add to this.

To put it in perspective (not a game theorist), if the big blind is 1, and you steal 100 BBs then you have earned 100 with absolutely no effort. A 1/2 bet is great because you are risking the minimum to exploit their biggest mistake, that they fold too much, and they are folding way more than 75% of the time, and you are risking the minimum when you are pretty sure they hit that flop.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:28 AM

I agree that you should be raising ATC on the button and c-betting all flops...But what % of hands do people call 3-bets against normal nits...I personally probably call way to many 3-bets but I think if your raising any 2 then maybe 20% + all PPs would be good...Any other ideas