Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Too Aggressive should I slow down for value?

I agree that the flop bet should be bigger, but why make it at all?
The Villan could have=
Nothing, he folds to a raise, could possibly 2 barrel if you check

Mid pockets, a call indicates either a draw or a monster. IMO if a blank hits the turn we'll see at least a mid sized bet on the turn

Over pockets, much the same as Mid pockets but I think that overs will fire the turn, shut down the river but call a modest value bet

Any Jack. Def. firing again at the turn, assuming that the club doesnt come we can easily get it all in on the river, he'll probably even check-raise us to it making it easy.

I say checking the turn will only cost us money if a club hits, causing the villain to get scared
Old 03-08-2007, 09:23 AM

It depends on the stack sizes. You obviously would like to get all the money in the pot. The deeper you are, the more likely a raise on the flop might accomplish this.

If villain is on a bluff then your raise is likely to fold him out.

There is an argument for allowing an habitual bluffer to fire again on the turn by smooth calling.

Your raise loses very little value versus a one-barrel bluffer though.

Playing your strong hands fast isn't often a mistake IMO though.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote: Playing your strong hands fast isn't often a mistake IMO though

Completely agree, I think that we can maximize a bit here, but default is big hand = bet bet bet
Old 03-08-2007, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that the flop bet should be bigger, but why make it at all?
The Villan could have=
Nothing, he folds to a raise, could possibly 2 barrel if you check

Mid pockets, a call indicates either a draw or a monster. IMO if a blank hits the turn we'll see at least a mid sized bet on the turn

Over pockets, much the same as Mid pockets but I think that overs will fire the turn, shut down the river but call a modest value bet

Any Jack. Def. firing again at the turn, assuming that the club doesnt come we can easily get it all in on the river, he'll probably even check-raise us to it making it easy.

I say checking the turn will only cost us money if a club hits, causing the villain to get scared

[/ QUOTE ]
Raising on the turn/river is generally treated with WAY more respect than raises on the flop, also you want to get all the money in the middle against medium PP's (jacks should stick it in anyway) and calling the flop doesn't accomplish this.

If he is on a bluff he's very unlikely to continue, unless villain is a total maniac who has a tendency to overbet shove when he senses weakness I'm not calling...

Also everybody and there mother slowplays a J on this flop, and everyone is also expecting this. Do the opposite of what they expect and get payed off...

On top of that you won't get payed of by draws if they miss, but donkeys tend to continue even if they face a sizeable raise...
Old 03-08-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As other have said before me;
Raise more preflop, you don't want a multiway pot with a hand like AJo.
Raise MORE on the flop, raise to 9$ is about right...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-08-2007, 09:48 AM

I definitly think he has a pair here and is feeling out where he is, smooth call and raise the turn.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:56 AM

I raise the flop because it looks more like a bluff, and chances are you wont get any more value out of him unless he improves, AND if he improves its usually going to be an improvement which puts you behind.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:51 AM

Raise 4xbb + 1bb per limper to isolate and for value.

Small preflop raises like this are basically pot sweeteners. They do not accomplish the goal of isolation. You can make them for value, but you aren't really that far ahead of a random hand, and definitely not vs many random hands.

They're not bad play technically, if you feel comfortable playing a big pot multiway, but AJo isn't really a multiway type hand. I'd rather do it with a suited ace or TJs or small pocket pair trying to flop a set and win a big pot.

On the flop, make a real raise (3-4x his raise). Almost never make min-raises. Well, just never make them. You get less value when he does have the jack, and you offer him very attractive odds to call if he has a draw (4:1 pot odds is enough to call with 7+ outer draws if you think you can get some more money in when you hit).

I actually like a call because he might be betting to find out where he's at, and you might get another bet out of him. He'll probably bet the turn with a Jack and then you can raise. If he doesn't bet, you bet and then he'll raise his jacks and fold/call with a pair. Just be careful, that if you slowplay, you risk letting a semi-bluff hit his draw. You must be able to find a fold if a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] hits and he starts acting strong.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:02 PM

Nothing makes me want to slap people more than minraising. You're giving away information for the cheapest possible price. You're basically saying "I have a strong hand and you can fold now and lose the minimum, or you can draw out on me for cheap, your choice." People at this level enjoy calling big raises. They think they are being clever calling you down with a pair of 6s because they put you on a bluff.