Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Im starting to feel evil

I used to be an extremely moral and sensitive child but through years of life ive started developing an objective viewpoint on the world.

I still care about people i see suffering but words like moral to me now just seem ridiculous.

An above thread spoke of moral choices and i feel im unable to make moral choices anymore.

Do i pick a choice that involves me helping others to my own detriment? No y shud i. tbh i dont care about starving africans etc enough.

My point is im starting to see life through very objective calculating eyes and im thinking the line between me and evil is getting closer.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Im starting to feel evil

Sounds more like you are getting older. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2007, 12:29 PM

"My point is im starting to see life through very objective calculating eyes and im thinking the line between me and evil is getting closer."

You want to give some examples of this?
Old 10-31-2007, 01:12 PM

I'm busy thinking about the future and I probably self-reflect too much and stuff. I'm a senior in college and have not chosen any particular path now and am freaking out about everything, always.

I often foul up every day interactions, basic things like saying hi to people i know or chit-chatting with friends when i run into them. I'm always in my own world. I figure I can work my ass off and eventually be able to do some good in the world, but now in the present while I'm thinking about it and working on it, I may be evil. [I know I'm not OP but i think i can relate]
Old 10-31-2007, 01:14 PM

Its interesting you trace this to your objectivity. Detachment in some sense makes for a disconnect. Its primarily through our emotions that we stay connected to the world and to people.

God IS love. Love is suppose to be a good emotion but there's nothing objective about it. Seems like God as related in religious text never sees the need to divide emotion from reasoning. Not sure why. Its another avenue to explore.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:36 PM

1. Objectivity is the ability to see things from a non-subjective perspective, it isn't 'detachment' or 'disconnection'.
2. Without cognition you can't stay connected too the world at all, you actually can without emotion. They work in tandem, but cognition is most important.
3. Most of the larger religious have roots in societies/philosophies that predate the Greek philosophers and 17th-18th century philosophers that advocated logic and reasoning. That's why you don't see emotion and reason so strongly separated.
4. Humans love, we don't need god to explain our magnificence.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:49 PM

I find Mother Theresa's quote interesting. It seems she has substituted another's perspective for her own.

She said "I try to give to the poor people for love what the rich could get for money. No, I wouldn't touch a leper for a thousand pounds; yet I willingly cure him for the love of God."
Old 10-31-2007, 02:02 PM

It sounds pretty, but you lost me there, so I don't know where you wanted to go with that quote. I certainly don't object to the notion that theists believe god exists and that this may influence their actions.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I certainly don't object to the notion that theists believe god exists and that this may influence their actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is true also. People who believe in god, tend to, IMHO, believe in god. I also agree with you that this may influence their actions. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2007, 08:39 PM

I was actually contrasting Mother Theresa's quote/idea with this part of your list:

1. Objectivity is the ability to see things from a non-subjective perspective, it isn't 'detachment' or 'disconnection'